Wireless Card Dying?

BrettSDBrettSD San Diego, CA New
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Hey guys, I've been experiencing an odd hiccup on my desktop that's become progressively worse over the last week or so. I'm starting to suspect my wireless network card.

The problem first started to manifest itself when I noticed that my mouse would catch and warp as I moved it across the screen. I figured perhaps my computer had too much going on in the background, but after monitoring my system resources I've all but ruled that out. Over maybe the past couple of months I have noticed that my internet connection is significantly slower than my laptop which I often have sitting not even 5ft away from my tower. At present the problem has become so bad that loading Firefox, xfire, Teamspeak, or anything else that involves the internet is near impossible and usually fails. The card seems to be picking up my router and there's a strong connection... but it just doesn't seem to work.

The card is a Linksys WMP110.

Thanks.

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2010
    Have you ruled out spyware? How full is your Hard Disk?
  • BrettSDBrettSD San Diego, CA New
    edited July 2010
    Virus scans have come up with nothing. I'll a maleware/spyware scan later today. My HD was at the 90-95% full level for quite a while. In fact I've cleaned a lot of it out before much of this began, it's at about 60% full.
    edited July 2010
    Update.

Flipped on my computer to run a Super Anti-Spyware scan. Oddly enough it initially seemed to be running like a champ. I ran the scan and picked up a good amount of tracking cookies. However, after the reboot the problem has returned.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2010
    Not sure what os you are running and I am fairly sure that XP onwards is self defragging but it might be worth trying that. Tracking cookies shouldn't cause the problems you have had
    edited July 2010
    I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I try to run a defrag at least once a month. Current fragmented % is at 0. I might just do a system wipe tomorrow.
    edited July 2010
    I think it's a problem with my mobo. I moved my card to a different PCI slot and it started working fine.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2010
    Glad you got it sorted. Post back if it starts again.
    edited July 2010
    Will do. I guess it's a good thing that I had already ordered my new motherboard for the upgrade I'm doing.

Thank you for the help.