BSOD over time, with multiple computer components

edited July 2010 in Hardware
For the past year, I have had to change several Hard Disk drives. That is because in time, even if I bought new ones, after a few months BSOD started appearing and the hard drives started making a funny noise (like a disk skipping). I took them back at the shops I bought them from, they claimed to have repaired them, even though I believe they just did a deep scan and took care of some bad sectors (I must mention that I could not perform a chkdsk scan as it got stuck on a random percentage while checking file integrity). But after a while and after several trips to those shops, I bought a new hard drive. I did that once, twice, and now I have to give up on the 3rd hard drive on my "shopping list".
I have the codes generated, and I must mention that they came with the warning that some process has gone wrong and windows had to terminate in order for my computer to avoid damage.
0X0000008E (0XC000005, 0X805729EE, 0XEFA3299C, 0X00000000)

I cannot boot in safe mode, unless it is only in command prompt.

Do you think a certain piece of hardware from my computer can damage hard drives over time? And which one of them can do that? I'm just trying to avoid replacing the whole damn thing.

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    FYI with chkdsk, at certain steps (4 and 5 usually) it is going to seem stuck at a low percentage but rest assured it just takes forever and doesn't update the progress percentage. Unless your disk stops spinning and your HDlight dies, its working away.

I'd recommend replacing your disk cable (whether ATA or SATA) and if symptoms appear again, get a PCI disk controller and stop using the one built in to your motherboard.

If you replace the cable AND the disk controller, and you STILL have issues it might be a specific software you use.