Boot Issue

Ace_DAce_D CA, USA
edited August 2010 in Hardware
I'll get straight to the point.

I have a desktop PC that I built from scratch a while back. It hasn't been turned on since June 2009. I decided to get it up and running again to use as a backup/storage PC.

First thing I did was hit the power. It "wound up" for a second, then went back off. Tried again, same results. I then decided to open her up and have a look inside.

I have a LED BIOS POST code on the board, so that was the first thing I checked. It currently has a Phoenix BIOS chip on board. I flipped the rear rocker switch to the off position, waited, then flipped it back on. The first 2 codes that pop up are _3, and 02. The first is a blank, empty space, followed by the number 3. That last for a second, then the Zero Two pops up. Since there is no definition for "_3," I can't exactly diagnose it. The 02, however, is defined as a few different things, depending on which version of the Phoenix BIOS that is being used. I have no idea witch version I have. The chip reads "Phoenix BIOS, D686 BIOS" if that means anything.

In short, the 02 is defined as:
Phoenix XT 2.52 PnP BIOS: First 64k RAM failed. I don't think this is likely....

Phoenix BIOS Plus v1.0 and Phoenix ISA/EISA/MCA v3.07: CMOS read/write failure.

Phoenix UMC chipset PCI BIOS: Verify real mode operation. Which I assume refers to the possessor.

Phoenix PCI:If the CPU is in protected mode, turn on gate A20 and pulse the reset line. Forces a shutdown 0. I don't even know what that means.

and lastly,Phoenix 4.0 and Phoenix 4.0 release 6.0 both say: Verify real mode. Also assuming this means the CPU.

With this showing up on the BIOS POST LED, I can still get the PC to boot up without shutting back down. Problem one is, the monitor never receives a signal (DVI off of a GeForce BFG 6800 ULTRA) and none of the USB ports give me any response (keyboard, mouse, etc....)

Problem two is, once it powers up fully, I get POST code 90. Which is "Initialize hard disc controllers." Just FYI, the only version of Phoenix BIOS (that I know of...) that can give a 90 code is Phoenix 4.0 release 6.0. Which leads me to believe that the initial 02 code means to verify real mode.

So far what I have done is: Re-seat EVERYTHING. Just in case something came loose somewhere. I have also reset the BIOS 2 different ways. By the jumper, and by removing the CMOS battery. The only issue was, there were 2 jumpers that could have been the BIOS jumper. One next to the BIOS chip (obviously my first choice), and one next to where power meets motherboard (read somewhere online that this could also be the jumper for BIOS?) so I did the reset technique on both. To try and solve my USB issue, I switched the USB power jumpers. I can't for the life of me figure out why the display doesn't come on.

For reference, the motherboard is an ABIT - AV8 socket 939.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. If there is anything I did not cover that will help you help me, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advanced!!

-Ace

Comments

• Ace_DAce_D CA, USA
    edited August 2010
    Its been a couple days... Thought I'd bump myself....

-Ace
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Hi Ace_D. Welcome to Icrontic, hopefully we can get you sorted. You have provided a lovely amount of detail and much of it is helpful. But let's get two critical facts on this post:

What is the exact model of your motherboard?
    Do you have another video card you can try or onboard video?
    That being said it is my first guess that one or multiple of the following failed since you last used the computer:
    mobo, cpu, bios
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2010
    Trouble shooting.
    Remove video card and ram and check the error codes. Then add the video card back in, check error code, then add in the ram (1 stick at a time if you have multiples) check error codes. If the error code remains the same then it's not those devices it's something with your mobo or possibly just your bios is fried.

Another thing to try which sometimes will jumpstart it is remove the cpu power cycle it then put it back in. That should also bump the bios into thinking the cpu is new.
  • Ace_DAce_D CA, USA
    edited August 2010
    @Gravite:

Thanks for the welcome! Here is a handful of info on the mobo...

ABIT AV8 powered by VIA K8T800 Pro/VT8237 performance chipsets based on AMD Athlon 64/64FX Socket 939 Processors. With SATA RAID, Dual DDR400, AGP8X/4X, IEEE1394 and Gigabit LAN including ABIT engineered �Guru for optimum overall system performance. This board is the performer of the year. Using the groundbreaking Hyper Transport Technology and gushing with extra capacity and peripherals support as well as first class onboard 5.1-channel audio, this board can easily be your foundation for a superb system.

�Guru
    �Guru is a new microprocessor designed by the ABIT Engineers for use only on ABIT motherboards. �Guru combines the ABIT Engineered features ABIT EQ, ABIT FanEQ, ABIT OC Guru, ABIT FlashMenu, ABIT AudioEQ and ABIT BlackBox into a user-friendly interface providing users the perfect environment with which to maximize performance and stability.

Hyper Transport Technology
    HyperTransport technology, which delivers a 2GHz effective system bus, is a high-speed, low latency, point-to-point link designed to increase the communication speed between integrated circuits in computers, servers, embedded systems, and networking and telecommunications equipment up to 48 times faster than some existing technologies.

Serial ATA 150 RAID
    Serial ATA is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA storage interface. This new high-speed interface boosts data transfer rates to up to 150 MB/sec. More flexible power tolerances allow for smaller and more efficient cables.

IEEE 1394
    Supports 400/200/100 Mb/s data transfer rate, let you easily connect to most kinds of Digital Video and Digital Camera.

6-Channel Audio
    Lets you enjoy 6-channel audio without having to buy advanced sound cards.

Thermal Guard�
    ABIT ThermalGuard� technology prevents your CPU from overheating and burning up in case of any hardware-cooling malfunction. ThermalGuard� is hardware-based for maximum security and reliability.

Also, I do have an available on-board video source, I just don't have a VGA cable. (go figure...) I plan on picking one up today or tomorrow.... So I will try that. Thank you SO much for the input, though. Very helpful.

@Kryyst:

I will try your suggestion when I get back to my apartment. Sounds like that may give me more to work with....

I never even thought to remove the cpu, so I will try that as well. Thanks for the tips. All very helpfull.

Thanks again, I will post again with an update when I get to it.

-Ace