How to safely transport a desktop computer cross country?

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Hardware
So, I'm going to be traveling soon cross country. I want to take my desktop with me, in the trunk of a car.

How can I do this in a way that won't damage the desktop? (I've only ever had a laptop before while traveling).

I have the box the case came in, and the foam strips that held that secure in transit, so I was thinking of just sticking it back in there. But are there any pitfalls to watch out for? Suggestions?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Take the HSF off. If your video card is heavy, take it out too.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Realize also that jostling the computer may snap the slender screws securing the power supply. If your PSU isn't sitting on rails in the case, take that out as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I'd remove the HDDs and pack them separately as well. If they're on rails like most modern systems, I've seen them come out under jostling. If they're screwed in, they should be alright.

Most importantly, take off the heatsink, as Shwaip said.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I just tip it onto it's side so that the HSF/GPU/PSU aren't straining against the screws/bolts/push pins.

Personally I never bother removing stuff from my PCs and I cart them back and forth fairly frequently. (but then I'm not into using coolers larger than my head)
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, PSU is on rails, Heat sink is a tiny stock one, video card aint heavy :)

I'll go with Basil's suggestion with fingers crossed. If I had a hulking Heat Sink i'd take it off :)

So thanks all!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    In addition to what has been posted so far I would add a bit of caution about heat. If your travels take you through temps above 95F the inside of your trunk will reach temps in excess of 140F. If this is the case, I would recomend putting it in the back seatand covering it for stealth and security.

BTW, most modern cars that are not going over a 4x4 test track will ride plenty smooth enough for all to be fine as is except in the case of very large CPU coolers. Juts be sure to lay the case on the same side you would put it to install the components.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I have moved my desktop in my car countless times. Just make sure you HDDS are secure and lay it on its side as Mt said so the motherboard is on the bottom.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Wow! If I ever have to transport a PC by ox-drawn Conestoga wagon, I now know how! ;)