Laptop Recommendation for College Student

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited August 2010 in Hardware
Okay, I'm not too stubborn to admit that I am too old and no longer have any idea what is being offered. I purchased each of my children a laptop when they started college in 2003, 2004, and 2007. Ironically, the cost was about $1,000 each, and each laptop I purchased was light years ahead of the previous purchase.

But now I have not purchased any computer in the past three years and I think technology has passed me by. I always tried to purchase the highest RAM I could afford with the basic essentials. I am currently typing this message on a Pentium 4, XP Pro, 768MB RAM (and I am connected to the World Wide Web on a dial-up modem with a speed of 21.6 Kbps).

The University recommends:

* Windows 7
* Vista Business or Ultimate (32-bit)

* Intel Core processor or above
* 4 GB of RAM or higher
* 150 GB (or more) hard disk space total
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB or higher (Look for Vista Premium Ready sticker)
* DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, 10/100/1000 NIC, 802.11b/g Wireless for laptops

OR

* Mac OS 10.6 (aka Snow Leopard) OR
* Mac OS 10.5 (aka Leopard)

* Intel based Mac
* 4 GB RAM or higher
* 150 GB (or more) hard drive space total
* Free Space on Hard Drive: 5 - 10 GB (or more)
* DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, 10/100/1000 NIC, 802.11b/g/n Wireless for laptops

Assuming my daughter does NOT want Apple, what do you recommend?

I will accept general recommendations, but I would really like recommendations for specific laptops with links (or store locations) for purchase. As with my last three, I would like to keep the price at or under $1,000.

My son (the 2007 freshmen) said "just buy her a Latitude." Looks like Dell no longer sells Latitudes. Maybe he is as dumb as I am.

I will check for responses on Friday (08/06/10) but will be out of town for the weekend. Please do not interpret my lack of response over the weekend as indifference.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    ASUS UL80 Series UL80Vt-A2

Recommending this one because it is about $1000 with tax and shipping and:
    1 year accident warranty (drop/spill)..nice for college students
    2 year standard warranty (most companies give you 1 year last I checked)
    14" screen, very portable for taking to class and moving
    has switchable gpu/onboard to elongate battery time
    has an 8 cell battery
    meets or exceeds all your outlined specs

ASUS makes wonderful laptops in general. I've owned mine for two years and it is the best investment I've made in the last two years. It has been an amazing tool for my mba, as well as my business.

Given the sheer number of HP, Dell, Compaq, and Sony laptops I have had to repair or use for previous jobs ... I can tell you ASUS makes better quality machines.

If you buy threw newegg, please use this link to support Icrontic:

Then search for item number:
    N82E16834220687
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Gravite2090, the is exactly the type of recommendation I am looking for.

How do I use the Newegg link? Does it matter that I already have an account? Do I need to erase cookies if I have previously visited the site without using the link?

Also, I was wrong about the Dell Latitude. Not sure what my search problem was last Thursday night (other than a dial-up modem with a speed of 21.6 Kbps).
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    You're welcome!

You do not have to use the newegg link. It just helps support Icrontic if you do. All you have to do is click where I put use this link, then continue on your shopping experience.

You do not have to log out, clear cookies, or anything special.

Best of luck with your search and congratulations on getting the kids through college!