High pitch sound coming from CPU area

edited August 2010 in Hardware
Iv read so many threads on this topic and tried everything i can with no luck. Basically i installed a 3rd HD, the next day is when i start noticing the high pitch sound, it actually gives me a headache. Removed the cables of the new drive to see if maybe it was to much power but it didnt change anything.

The next day i notice when i turn on my comp I don't hear it till about an hour after its been on. The high pitch whistle only happens when its processing information like clicking on a web page or loading data. I really dont know what else to do. Any suggestions or possibility's on what it might be? I stopped the cpu fan to see if it was the bearings thats not it, tried making sure all cables are tightly in place, and dusted the whole the thing.

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Most likely this is capacitor whine. You can roll up a piece of typing paper to make a tube shape and try listening to the individual capacitors around the CPU. However, there is little you can do to fix it yourself. You may need to RMA the motherboard to the manufacturer. On the other hand, capacitor whine may be coming from your power supply. If that is the case, you will need to replace it.
  • edited August 2010
    Well adarryl thanks for the replay mate! Today me and my brother tried everything and he said its gotta be the power supply. We took his out and hooked it up and low and behold no more high pitch headache sound.

I was running a 750watt Ultra x connect ps and giong to switch to a corsair 650hx series. Me and my brother have been through about a total of 5 Ultra pS so i will never ever buy that brand again.

My bro switched to a Corsair after his last Ultra went out. Next week i will have about 5 dead Ultras laying around. Back then they were one of the only Co. to carry modular ps's. I guess MAYBE when i installed the 3rd HD it was to much power and ended caused a short or a capacitor to got out, IDK exactly whats wrong but at least i now know the problem.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Ultra's most recent PSUs, the X4 series, have extremely high quality internals. The same cannot be said of their remaining products.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    My Ultra X4 750 had cap whine with 2x 5870s, 2x hdds, and an oced 965BE. I'd blame it more on overloading, but when I upgraded to a corsair 950, it went away.
  • edited August 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    My Ultra X4 750 had cap whine with 2x 5870s, 2x hdds, and an oced 965BE. I'd blame it more on overloading, but when I upgraded to a corsair 950, it went away.

I agree about overloading cause the sound happened when i installed the 3rd HD. I know these Ultra PSU say 750watt when they are really not. I bought it more so because back then they were one the only company's to carry modular PSU. Tomorrow im gonna order a 650watt Corsair to replace the Ultra and be done with it.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Actually, Ultra doesn't overstate their PSU output. See JonnyGuru here:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=174

The problem is actually more likely a defective power supply. The internals of Ultras aren't really that good, not even the X4. Better than they used to be sure. But still pretty mediocre.
  • edited August 2010
    RootWyrm wrote:
    Actually, Ultra doesn't overstate their PSU output. See JonnyGuru here:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=174

The problem is actually more likely a defective power supply. The internals of Ultras aren't really that good, not even the X4. Better than they used to be sure. But still pretty mediocre.

I don't have that model, the one i have is like 3 years old!! Either way they aren't a reliable PSU. Ordered the Corsair 750hx the other day so i look forward to installing it. Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it!!