Recovering an NTFS partition.

edited August 2010 in Hardware
Hello,

I was doing an archlinux install. This was actually my fault the NTFS partition is corrupted, I created the partitions for arch, and ran mkfs on them, when the arch installer asked if I wanted it to create a file system on them, I said yes..... It didn't work, so I started over and deleted the partitions, and created them without doing mkfs, arch detected that I did this earlier and asked me if I wanted to run it again that way. Well here's what happened, I set the boot partition to /dev/sda1 instead of 2, previously I had 3 partitions, not 4. That first one was the NTFS partition. To make matters worse, it's not even my computer.

Okay, so I first downloaded a livecd with testdisk, which previously recovered my vista partition on the computer that WAS mine. Well.... testdisk found my partition, it had a broken MBR so I rebuilt it. So now, I went to see if I could mount it, well, it was damaged and wouldn't mount, I opened up testdisk again, and tried to do "list files", well it seems that the NTFS filesystem was damaged. Whoops. So next I look online to find a solution, it seems that windows' checkdisk (chkdsk) would be of help. I downloaded a recovery console ISO, and booted from it. I ran chkdsk, it wasn't marked as dirty, so I did chkdsk /p. Instantly it said "The volume seems to have one or more unrecoverable problems". Well.... I really don't know what to do. I found this forum and it seems to be good with these types of issues. Is there a way I could partially recover the filesystem enough to mount and rescue the files? I don't care if it doesn't boot. I just want to rescue the files. If I can do that, I'm fine.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    You might try a program called Recuva or GetDataBack, but given that the original partition appears to have been overwritten (if I read your post correctly) the outlook is pretty bleak.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    If data was written to the partitions, you're pretty much boned. If all you did was create the new filesystem though you may be able to recover. The only way I've been able to recover from an accidental partition table fubar like that was to use gpart. Grab the system rescue CD, boot it, run gpart (NOT gparted, just gpart) on the disk. There is at least a chance it will be able to recover your previous partitions (that chance is admittedly slim at this point though)