NOT build my own?

2»

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Oh it can be done. If both cards are loaded with CPU then the PSU is going to be right at the edge for reasonable load but it will have room.

23740.png

You have a 125W CPU and the GTX 460 is listed as max consumption of 160W. 445W total for the large draw items.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    Agreed. My thoughts on the case are here.
    +2

BEZT CASE EVAR

...for £30 anyway
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Case is fine as-is for cooling? Need additional fans?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    It comes with 1 120mm fan preinstalled. I bought 5 more fans and filled the case. To be honest though that is probably overkill. The 1 fan should be fine if you're not overclocking. Maybe add more if you get it all put together and see your temps higher than you want.
    edited August 2010
    Great. Got this all figured out except the SSD.

I need a compelling reason to get the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB over the Corsair C300 64GB.

As I see it:

Corsair pros (over OCZ): Faster read (70MB/sec more), 4 more GB, 2 more yrs warranty, $10 cheaper, SATA3 interface

OCZ pros (over Corsair): Much faster write. Ryder will beat OCZ upside the head if I get a bad drive.

I'm not sure how much the write speed matters for a boot drive. Also not sure if the 6gb/sec SATA will even be utilized (my mobo supports it, but not sure the SSD can take advantage of it).
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I think you mean crucial, not corsair.
    edited August 2010
    Oops. right. crucial c300.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Just remember that the only read stat that REALLY matters is the 4k random read test. That should dictate your decision.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah. Both test similarly on the 4k random read.

What I've learned re: original post.

Edit: I was wrong thinking there wasn't much to be saved money-wise. See post below. I clearly got a equivalent (or better) system for significantly less money by building on my own - and was able to ensure that I could pick each component from dozens of choices.
    edited August 2010
    New computer is on order. After a week of reading reviews, benchmark data, discussions, item availability and discounts, and going with my gut, I ended up with the following:

Case: NZXT Beta Evo (plus additional high-quality case fans, cables, etc)
    PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W
    CPU: Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz
    HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
    RAM: 8GB (4x2) G.SKILL Trident DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000, F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD)
    Video: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III
    Optical: Liteon 24X DVDrw Sata

Total: Just over $1300.

Changed the build from a Phenom x6 to a Intel i7 after reviewing benchmarks for the applications I use most (games, Photoshop). Doesn't hurt that the Gigabyte motherboard layout is nicer for the 1156 socket (RAM isn't up against CPU).

I'm sure it's not the best set-up - probably some overkill, some less-than-ideal, but I'm happy with it overall. Will crush the machine I'm using now.

I'll post a pic of the build when all the parts arrive (later this week).:cool:

EDIT: Btw, to get a good deal I spent a decent amount of time searching for NewEgg combo deals, and split my order between Amazon & NewEgg depending on pricing, shipping costs, and availability.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited August 2010
    Hydrar wrote:
    I'm sure it's not the best set-up - probably some overkill, some less-than-ideal, but I'm happy with it overall. Will crush the machine I'm using now.

Believe that is what counts most! :bigggrin:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    nice choices, some things I would have changed personally, but that 128GB SSD is gonna scream :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2010
    That is a very good configuration, the price is also very good for the configuration. Enjoy building and using your new computer.
    edited August 2010
    Built went well this Wednesday.

The biggest problem was the CPU HSF. Too big to use it AND have a stick of RAM in the first slot. The Intel HSF is mediocre... I'll be looking for another soon. (with aftermarket thermal paste I'm getting >70C at full load, 65C at 50% load, 40C idle).

The NZXT Beta Evo case is very nice for $45, however the cutout for the HSF mount (behind the CPU) was off-centered for the GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard. Nice thought from NZXT, however they added that cut-out with a specific motherboard in mind... so I need to completely remove the motherboard when I change the CPU HSF.

The wire management, drive location, and overall design were great.

My only other comment is that I am very glad I went with the 128GB C300 RealSSD drive from Crucial. It is very fast (windows boot times vary from 23-28 seconds).

With Win7, a few utility applications, drivers, Starcraft II (8GB!), and Adobe CS4 installed it's at 40 gigs. while 60 or 64 GB drive would be enough, I'd be awfully uncomfortable with so little space left.

Been playing SC2 today at all Ultra settings. Looks great. Win7 WEI scores for processor/RAM/graphics are 7.5-7.7.