New CPU won't boot

edited August 2010 in Hardware
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, but was inspired by some excellent answers to previous questions.

I'm currently running a GigaByte GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 mobo with an E4600 CPU. I have installed the latest BIOS (F14) which works perfectly.

I purchased a Q9500 recently (which is listed as supported for this motherboard) and installed it. When I try to boot, I get past the initial boot screen (where you can press tab, del, etc.), but right before checking the CD drive for a boot disk, the system freezes.

Any idea what's going on here? Am I going to need to start disconnecting everything to figure this out, or is there a quick fix I'm missing?

Thanks!

-Matt

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    It sounds like your system is posting but not booting into Windows. If it was a CPU issue you would have issue getting past post.

When you installed the new CPU did you reset the bios at all or doing anything else to the system that may have adjusted and settings you had originally?
  • edited August 2010
    I didn't actually touch the BIOS at all; everything was left as-is. When I put the old CPU back, it works just fine with no issues.

Should I consider adjusting the BIOS?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    You say you flashed to the "latest bios." 1) Does the Gigabyte site specifically state that your motherboard supports the Q9500 with that bios? If so, good. If not, the cpu may not be compatible with your mobo. 2) If yes, clear the cmos on the motherboard. See your mobo manual if you are not sure how to do this. Sometimes a new processor is not automatically recognized by the motherboard and the system fails to boot because the bios is expecting the former processor not the new one.