I have a few questions about motherboards and Processors

the-keeperthe-keeper New Zealand
edited August 2010 in Hardware
ok, since the wonderfull bunch of people here at icrontic have mannaged to answer all my other questions, i thought i would bring this question here too.
i was wondering if it is at all possible to link motherboards together and make them run as one computer? if so how is this done and what will i need to do this?

if this isnt possible, can i somehow make two processors into one or atleast work as one?

Thanks =P

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Nope, and nope. Not possible.
  • the-keeperthe-keeper New Zealand
    edited August 2010
    ik, so the closest thing to this would probably be setting the computers up in a network?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    What are you trying to accomplish? Faster speed? I don't get what you're trying to do here
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    The closest thing to what you are referring to is probably something along the lines of a Beowulf Cluster which is totally pointless for you to set up. These kinds of clusters are used to work on solving very heavily processor intensive problems and would be useless for doing anything remotely interactive.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    What are you trying to accomplish? Faster speed? I don't get what you're trying to do here

Agreed with Prime, you'd be better off explaining what end result you want so people can give you their thoughts on a solution.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    You want 2 or more computers to act as one, so that you have a parallel computing situation or a "cluster".

You will have to google creating a cluster, can it be done? Maybe (through a network most likely).

No, you cannot hook motherboards together physically or put 2 CPU's together (unless you get a multi socket board).
  • edited August 2010
    SGI had done that long ago (~2000) with their origin 200 series using a Cray Link. I used and administered them at those times. But they are not available anymore. The two machines, when connected through a Cray Link, were running a single operating system (SGI Irix) and acting like a single shared-memory multiprocessor computer (i.e. not a cluster). See here. I think, there were higher-end models that enabled more than two connections. You can read this article and follow the links if you want more detail

But the answers are correct, this is not possible with PC hardware.

The closest thing I know nowadays is putting two motherboards in the same blade in clusters to save space. But, each motherboard runs independent OS in a cluster although they share the same case.
  • edited August 2010
    Check the motherboard below. You can use 4 six-core Opterons on a single motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151085

With a more expensive model, you can even use 8- and 12-cores per processor.
  • the-keeperthe-keeper New Zealand
    edited August 2010
    ok well pretty much i have a pile of really average computers lying around and a friend of mine told me that i could link them all to combine the power of their processors and ram and such to make one good computer, so i was kinda just looking into that to see if it was possible and if so how you can do it XD

so pretty much my question has been answered and my friend was full of it or has also been misslead, thanks
This discussion has been closed.