kvm switch for mac and pc

bannock500bannock500 wiarton willy country (ontario) New
edited August 2010 in Hardware
Hi gang,

I just got one question. My question is what is the best usb KVM switch to use that would accomidate both a pc and a mac. I will be using usb keyboard and wireless usb mouse. I have a acer al2216w monitor that I wish use. I would appreciate any help on this matter. I want to use a kvm switch instead of 2 keyboards and mouse.

Thanks

Bannock

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I recently bought an IOGear KVM switch that worked great on my PC and Mac mini... except the mic in produces a high-pitched whine and one of the video connectors died 3 weeks in. I asked for an RMA on their website and then via email. It wasn't until I sent a second terse email weeks later that I finally got a reply. So I shipped it back on my own dime and a couple MONTHS later I had it back: still with the mic problem and now with the inability to run my G5 through it. I complained on Twitter and, I suppose to their credit (?) they offered to reimburse me on shipping for a second RMA, but at this point I've been without a working KVM since February and wasted days of time on it.

Pro tip: Lots of KVMs will do this. IOGear's come with a sticker that says "kick me."

You'd probably be fine with any 2-port DVI/USB. Getting audio thru it is convenient, too. Search "KVM" on NewEgg.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited August 2010
    Yeah most KVM i've used had bugs and were a pain in the *ss at times.

With my last KVM if i were to press ctrl too many times i would lose keyboard recognition and the KVM started blinking green. Had to press ESC each time to get my keyboard back...

At the moment i do without KVM the most i can =| I use remote desktop to acces my other computer when i need it at work.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Semi-related, check out Synergy+. It lets you run the systems side-by-side. Our devs use it so they can use their Windows VS boxes and OSX machines at the same time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Synergy is AWESOME. If the systems are right there, no KVM can beat it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Buddy J wrote:
    Semi-related, check out Synergy+. It lets you run the systems side-by-side. Our devs use it so they can use their Windows VS boxes and OSX machines at the same time.
    Thrax wrote:
    Synergy is AWESOME. If the systems are right there, no KVM can beat it.
    How could I have never heard of this before??? I must try it.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Both machine need a monitor with Synergy though... :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    +1 for Synergy. Greatest piece of software (and closest thing to magic) ever. Even lets you copy paste between computers. AWESOMETASTICWIN+++

@GooD - the Ctrl thing is a feature. It's there to let you switch your kvm using your keyboard. Though usually it uses the scroll lock key. The KVMs on our workbench here, you press scroll lock twice then F1-F4 to select input 1-4. Sounds to me like yours does the same thing but with Ctrl instead.
  • bannock500bannock500 wiarton willy country (ontario) New
    edited August 2010
    Hi Gang,

Thanks for your help. I'll check into the synergy+. I was kind of nervous about getting a kvm switch, but now my mind is made up. I won't get one if its going to cause me headaches. Again thanks for all your help. Sorry about not getting back to earlier. Been busy as a bee here at my shop.

Thanks Bannock
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2010
    For what it's worth I have a basic 2 port dlink KVM that works with some caveats. I can share the mouse and the monitors. But I can't share the keyboard of my iMac. It won't go through the kvm to the iMac.