Odd looping

edited September 2010 in Hardware
If this has already been asked, then please redirect me, I have little time on my buddies computer, and mine is broken (Obviously).

So I turn it on, and this check-up screen shows up showing status on my computer. Everything checks out as it should. It goes into the safe mode selection screen (Where you can choose to start windows normally, last known good configuration, safe mode network, etc.). The message on the bottom says to select an option, or in 30 seconds it'll start normally. My keyboard doesn't respond when I tell it to select another option other then start normally. As soon as it selects start normally, it restarts and does it all over again. I left it going through it's cycle, and got home after a 10 hour work day with it still doing it. So I have no idea. I attempted to switch HDD's for one that I know works and it does the same thing so I know it isn't a virus.

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee New Zealand Member
    edited August 2010
    usb or ps2 keyboard? if it isnt letting you select another mode like safe mode, is the keyboard detecting? usb keyboard support on in the bios etc?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Bluetooth keyboard? I had that one surprise me once. If it is USB, check what DeeTee suggested. PS2 should just work, if it isn't there is something wrong with either the keyboard or the motherboard.
  • edited September 2010
    I was told it was my keyboard because the USB activation was part of the Opperating system start-up. I was told using the older type of plug (Can't remember what that is called for the life of me) by a friend of mine A+ certified (He wants me to pay him to fix it. I can do this myself). However, the computer is looping for a reason. I have attempted to restore the Opp. but it fails. It wont detect the CD, and I checked the master cables and they are hooked up in the correct sequence. I need to diagnose the looping issue and fix what ever is wrong.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    If it won't detect the CD, then you either have a bad CD, bad optical drive, bad cable, or bad mobo. PS2 is the type of connector you are referring to, as mentioned by DT, and you can buy a connector that changes USB to PS2, though I am doubtful that is the real problem.