Rebuild w/ Asus Rampage 3 Gene + i7 930

2»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    My tubing has been in this rig about 5 years. I wish I could remember where I got it! LOL

The 1075T and 1055T both look like promising overclockers but sine the price isn't spread very far I think I'd shell a few extra bucks on the 1090T. I'd need a great overclocker board for that as well. And ram of course.

Where's you get the Heatkiller 3.0?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    You'd likely hit 3.8 or 4GHz out of the 1090T. They're pretty good steppings.
  • edited September 2010
    From what I've seen over at OCF, the 1090T procs seem to be able to hit 4.0 fairly easily, Chris. One thing I've heard though about them is that Thuban (and Deneb also) is that they don't like high temps. Keep temps at the mid 50's max.

They are very different than Neha or Gulftown, which don't mind high temps at all. And they aren't the heat monsters that the Intel procs are either. But you can cool the Intel procs pretty well with high end air or a good loop.
    edited September 2010
    I hear ya ...loop is good but I'd like to look into Heatkiller 3.0. Where did you get yours?
    The Primoflex LRT looks good but why black? I won't see my fluid level that way and I don't use a reservoir only a "T".

Moar stuff ...

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Assuming 64gb is enough for a boot drive. Currently my boot drive w/ XP contains about 20gb of data including OS. I expect Win7 to contain somewhat more but idunno how much. Thraks is this sufficient???

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Heatkiller Rev 3.0 754 / 939 / AM2 CPU Liquid Cooling Block - (14050)

Feser Aqua Non Conductive Ultra Pure Water - 1000 ml (FA-0054)

PrimoFlex Pro LRT Clear Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
  • edited September 2010
    Arctic Silver 5 is old and there are better TIMs now. I have been using Tuniq TX-2 lately. My next thermal compound will be Tuniq TX-4.
  • edited September 2010
    muddocktor wrote:
    Weird though it may seem, my ram problems with the P6X58D Premium board must have been caused with the Venomous X I originally used on it. I went with the stock 980X heatsink and no problems with getting the board to recognize all 3 sticks, as well as when I installed a Megahalems on it.

I think you can try to change the pressure or a different backplate to make Venomous X work
  • edited September 2010
    @mirage, I'm not real worried about it. I have several heatsinks I can use; just did a review of 6 heatsinks on the 1366 platform. And it will be phased into my main system soon anyways and going under water.

@Chris. I like black tubing personally and I do use a reservoir, so looking through my tubing isn't necessary. Plus my U2-UFO case is done on a white/black theme. They also make a clear Primoflex LRT tubing too. As for my HK, I bought it out of the OCF Classifieds for around $50 IIRC some months ago. But it was set up for LGA775, so I had to order the LGA1366 kit for it. And I ended up using it on a 775 system anyways, but I do have the 1366 mount for it. It's a damn nice and very good looking block too, well made. I was going to do a comparison of it versus the Apogee XT, but then ran out of gas and never got around to it. But I would recommend either of those waterblocks, depending on the pump you are using. The Apogee XT has noticeably more back pressure than the HK3.0, so you need a good pump like your D5 for it to keep up a good flow rate. BTW, you can order the AM3 mounting bracket for the Apogee XT from Swiftech if you want to go that route.

As for the fluid, I like to use plain old distilled water plus PT Nuke-PHN. There is no statistical difference between water and the fluid you are looking at, cooling-wise, but don't bite on that "electrically non-conductive" thing they advertise. The fluid might be so right out of the bottle, but it won't stay that way for more than 1 pass through the loop as it will pick up metallic ions from the copper and brass in the loop. And distilled water is just as non-conductive until it makes a pass through your loop too.;) There's nothing wrong with using it except it costs much more than a gallon of distilled water and a bottle of PT Nuke-PHN will last you a lifetime of water changes.

That Pi ram you linked is probably some good stuff. I haven't messed with the DDR3 version of Pi ram, but I have been very satisfied with the DDR2 Pi ram I have in my main system and my daughter's system. G. Skill makes some decent ram kits.

As for your PA160, it should do very well on a cpu only loop. I have one on my daughter's rig, which is a 940BE and temps run in the mid to high 30's while crunching Rosetta (which is another Folding type project that runs under BOINC, BTW).

BTW, I know you use a T line, but this XSPC Acrylic D5 Tank Reservoir looks real intriguing. It combines a reservoir with a better flowing fluid end, improving flow rate and it will make bleeding the loop dead easy. I have one for the MCP355 (DDC3.2) and it is a breeze to bleed that system down. I have that on the loop in my daughter's rig. And it doesn't take up much room in your case either, which is another plus.

For TIM, I have switched to using the Arctic Cooling MX2 from AS5. I find it works better, is easier to apply and to clean up after too and isn't slightly capacitive like AS5. AS5 is still a good product, but the TIM market hasn't set still and has caught and surpassed AS5 nowadays. And you might want to look at those Indigo Extreme metal tim pads if you can find them for AM3. They tested very well at skinnee's site (done by Vapor IIRC). I tend to mess around with systems too much to use them as they are very expensive, but if you leave your system up for long periods of time it might be an option.

EDIT: BTW, I checked at #9 software and they have the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Retail Version for $87.99, which is quite a bit cheaper than newegg. And I have bought from them before with no problems, Chris.
    edited September 2010
    Jim ...thanks for all of that info, especially about the OS savings, I truly appreciate it.

As for the TIM ...I just grabbed it from newegg because that was the best they had at the moment and likewise with the quantity. I haven't done much looking around except for an 80-way comparison of TIM's which put AS-5 towards the top. Also the stuff that mirage mentioned looks good too. I will definitely grab something better if the opportunity arrises. I like to stick with as few vendors as possible for one reason and another.

As for the reservoir ...I can't imagine it being any easier than it already is really. I'm not against them but even if I got it I'm not sure where I would mount it even. I'll leave this up in the air for now.

I'm about 75% certain that I will be going AMD again this time. I am really looking forward to the release of Bulldozer and there is a good chance I will be able to utilize this build whenever that happens.

Also on a side note ...I hope the family is doing well. Go SAINTS!!!
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, the family is doing good, Chris. How about you all? I hope everyone is healthy.

As for that res top; I was a bit up in the air about them too until I found a good deal on the one for the MCP355 in the OCF Classifieds and bought it. And I truly was amazed at how easy it was to fill a loop and add extra coolant with it. So keep your options open on it.;) The res top only adds a little bit to the footprint of the pump inside the case. Also, speaking of your loop, are you mounting the PA160 inside the case? If so, you might want to do as I did with my daughter's system. I mounted the rad externally on the outside of the 120 mm fan exhaust hole and then ran tubing through the bulkhead holes to the rad. It saves a bit of room inside, especially when using a 120 x 38 mm fan. I am using a Panaflo L1BX fan on the rad, BTW for those temps on the 940BE system. That is a first gen Deneb AM2+ 140 watt proc.

And here is a link to the skinnee TIM testing, which was done by Vapor - Linkage
    edited September 2010
    Family is doing great and healthy. Planning a vacation to Perdido Beach soon and installing an above ground pool as well.

The PA-160 has plenty of room at the bottom hd compartment of my V2000B where I have the shroud attached to a filtered 120mm quiet 80cfm evercool. I also added 2 small 40mm's above the PSU for exhaust to keep as much heat out of the case as I could. It's been working quite well over the past 3=5 years. I don't use the stock evercool filter because it has to be cleaned too often. The stock lian li filter is far more forgiving in that respect. The whole loop is very unrestrictive so the heatkiller 3.0 would be right at home. I did have fits trying to find one that is adaptive to AM3 though ...but I think the one I have selected will mount.