Machine will not boot

edited September 2010 in Hardware
This is not an emergency or anything but it is driving me insane.

Just let me start that all of my computers are HTPCs to some extent. This was my old machine after I built my new one roughly 2ish years ago. I moved this machine to power my bedroom TV while my primary machine powers my main projector. Now that we discussed that this machine has seen some use and is a little old, here is the problem:

About a year ago, I turned it on and it just wouldn't power up. I then cracked it open and after some troubleshooting I figured the PSU went bad (the mobo LED would light up and then immediately get dim with only the ram and cpu present). I wasn't really in the mood to get another PSU or take apart my primary machine. So almost a year goes by and I get a new PSU, I put the machine all together, plug it in... works... or so I think. When I boot it up, it appears that the CMOS cleared itself and I was getting the CMOS checksum error and I noticed the date was back to 1/1/05. Then whenever I would modify ANYTHING (even just the clock or disabling the full screen logo), it wouldn't even POST, and there was no video signal either. I looked in the case and the diagnostic LEDs were going crazy like it kept trying to POST over and over.

If I cleared the CMOS, it would do the checksum error again and I could hit f1 to get past it and it would start up but as soon as I restart it, it would go in the loop again. I took out the CMOS battery thinking it was bad to test it and it was still reading 2.75v. Also, with the battery out, it would start up but I'm assuming this is because it was constantly clearing the CMOS.

Any ideas? I can post specs if I go deep into my newegg history.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2010
    I'd replace the battery anyway because it's cheap and won't hurt. Next there is probably a jumper on the mobo that will reset the cmos. I'd use it to reset it and then boot up again.