i need advice on a low power graphics card

edited September 2010 in Hardware
hello,
can anyone help me figure out which graphics card is best for a dell gx280 desktop ?
i recently added a 23" full hd monitor and my current card only allows 1274x720 (or whateveR IS CLOSEST) AND I WANT TO GET 1920X1080 RES.
I WAS TOLD MY PC WOULD ONLY BE SAFE WITH A CARD THAT USES LESS THAN 210 WATTS.(oops sorry bout the caps lock thang) anyway i was told an ati x600 would be good and i can get 1 for 15 bucks shipped .but i was wondering if there is a better card that takes low power? thanks

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Your system looks like it should be equipped with a Radeon X300 stock, which will should display 1920 X 1080 through the catalyst control center.

Have you attempted to update you graphics driver first?
  • edited September 2010
    Your system looks like it should be equipped with a Radeon X300 stock, which will should display 1920 X 1080 through the catalyst control center.

Have you attempted to update you graphics driver first?

i had a friend do it,but it was to no avail.i think i have a P.O.S.#2 card right now;D
    but i just ordered a nvidia 9500 gt.it was only 23 bucks on ebay and my biggest concern was that i had to stay under 210 watts (what the dell dude said).but i read a few reports saying that dell undersizes and card manufacturers over estimate wattage need.
    so here's hoping i dont fry anything:bigggrin:
    i really only use the cp for surfing and some video's ,basic games and such so i think it will be safe ?
    what do you think ?
  • edited September 2010
    oh yeah and what the heck is a cat control center ?
    edited September 2010
    You will need a low profile card in that case, if its a standard width I'm afraid you will have fit issues.

The Catalyst control center is a software utility that ATI Radeon graphics cards use to adjust visual quality settings including the basic resolution. If you had the stock X300 card, it should do 1920X1080. It won't be a great gaming card, or even that great for HD video playback, but it will be sufficient to display the resolution for a productivity desktop.

I'm having problems figuring out if you have AGP 8X, or first generation PCIE on that board. Do you know? Thats important before you order a card.

I think the 9500 GT is probably pushing it a little on that power supply. If I were you, I would cancel until I am 100% sure what slot type I have and if the card is a low profile version or not.
  • edited September 2010
    You will need a low profile card in that case, if its a standard width I'm afraid you will have fit issues.

The Catalyst control center is a software utility that ATI Radeon graphics cards use to adjust visual quality settings including the basic resolution. If you had the stock X300 card, it should do 1920X1080. It won't be a great gaming card, or even that great for HD video playback, but it will be sufficient to display the resolution for a productivity desktop.

I'm having problems figuring out if you have AGP 8X, or first generation PCIE on that board. Do you know? Thats important before you order a card.

I think the 9500 GT is probably pushing it a little on that power supply. If I were you, I would cancel until I am 100% sure what slot type I have and if the card is a low profile version or not.
    i was wrong i ordered an 8400 gt low profile,a friend just called from alska and told me to order a new power supply....i dont want to put all that work into this cp. so i'm hoping that the dell optiplex gx280 will run the 8400gt .i do have a pci express 16x slot
    edited September 2010
    Okay, thats good, I think the PCIE Geforce 8400 low profile card should work fine for your application. You will need to delete the old driver from your system, and install the new Nvidia graphics driver when you get your card. I'd hold off on the power supply. Its not great, but it should be good enough for your Pentium 4, Geforce 8400 combo.
  • edited September 2010
    Okay, thats good, I think the PCIE Geforce 8400 low profile card should work fine for your application. You will need to delete the old driver from your system, and install the new Nvidia graphics driver when you get your card. I'd hold off on the power supply. Its not great, but it should be good enough for your Pentium 4, Geforce 8400 combo.
    thanks for your help...i'll let you know how it works out.
    also i assume i have to install the new card and driver before deleting the old stuff,right ? otherwise how will i see the screen to perform such tasks ?
    edited September 2010
    dumass wrote:
    thanks for your help...i'll let you know how it works out.
    also i assume i have to install the new card and driver before deleting the old stuff,right ? otherwise how will i see the screen to perform such tasks ?

Windows XP will display it low res, 640X480 16 bit color.
  • edited September 2010
    Windows XP will display it low res, 640X480 16 bit color.
    ok, so i remove the other stuff first ? i have an open pci slot should i uninstall the current driver before installing the new driver ?
    as you can see by my username i will have many dumb questions:bigggrin:
    but it's fun when the site says "thank you for logging in dumass"
    edited September 2010
    dumass wrote:
    ok, so i remove the other stuff first ? i have an open pci slot should i uninstall the current driver before installing the new driver ?
    as you can see by my username i will have many dumb questions:bigggrin:
    but it's fun when the site says "thank you for logging in dumass"

No problem. Anyone smart enough to find their way to the Icrontic forums when they could use computer advise is not dumb.

What I would do,

I'd make sure I have the latest driver for the 8400 for windows XP. Dowload them here.

When your new card arrives, first remove the old drivers by uninstalling the device from your windows device manager. Click start, go to your control panel, and under the device manager look for video controlers, you should see something that says X300, or ATI, something to that effect, click on it and remove. Shut down the machine.

Open up the box, swap out your video card for the new one, when you boot, it will be ugly, just click the .exe driver file that you already downloaded to your desktop, wait a couple minutes for it to install, it should prompt you to reboot, and upon reboot you should be in business.

I understand the newer 8400 cards are using the ION chip, so if thats the case its a very good low energy desktop solution, heck, it will even do a little light gaming and accelerate HD video for you.

Cheers.
  • edited September 2010
    No problem. Anyone smart enough to find their way to the Icrontic forums when they could use computer advise is not dumb.

What I would do,

I'd make sure I have the latest driver for the 8400 for windows XP. Dowload them here.

When your new card arrives, first remove the old drivers by uninstalling the device from your windows device manager. Click start, go to your control panel, and under the device manager look for video controlers, you should see something that says X300, or ATI, something to that effect, click on it and remove. Shut down the machine.

Open up the box, swap out your video card for the new one, when you boot, it will be ugly, just click the .exe driver file that you already downloaded to your desktop, wait a couple minutes for it to install, it should prompt you to reboot, and upon reboot you should be in business.

I understand the newer 8400 cards are using the ION chip, so if thats the case its a very good low energy desktop solution, heck, it will even do a little light gaming and accelerate HD video for you.

Cheers.

thanks again it will be a few days before i get the card and i will let you know how it works.:thumbup
  • custompcmaxcustompcmax Minnesota
    edited September 2010
    I know you already ordered, but if that doesn't work for some reason - check out the ATI 5570 or 5450. They both are low profile and low power.
  • edited September 2010
    thanks
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    If you knew you accidentally had the caps lock on in your original post, why didn't you just go back and retype that line instead of adding a note saying you knew the caps lock was on?
  • edited September 2010
    Tim wrote:
    If you knew you accidentally had the caps lock on in your original post, why didn't you just go back and retype that line instead of adding a note saying you knew the caps lock was on?

2 reasons....

1)read my username

2)so you would have something to contribute to the thread:thumbup
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Win ;D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    lul
  • custompcmaxcustompcmax Minnesota
    edited September 2010
    pwn'd