Asus G72 Fan

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited September 2010 in Hardware
For the past two weeks, the fan in my G72 notebook has been getting louder and louder. I cleaned it and everything and I've concluded it has to be a bad bearing at this point. I tried to see if I could find a replacement fan on Asus's website but no luck. The laptop is under warranty but I need it for school so I can't just ship it away for 2 weeks. I also tried calling them to see if they could ship me a new fan but apparently their suppliers don't carry it. I managed to get a part number (13gnp210l521-1) and google it and the only place that has it is one of their resellers in Europe which means I have to pay about $40 for a fan that should cost $10. Anyone know if I can replace this fan with another available here in the states?

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Sorry, no idea where. Keep in mind that you'll likely void your warranty by cracking the case open to replace a fan. Not that it's ever stopped me, but still...
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited September 2010
    At this point, I don't have a choice. I really need the laptop for school and it would take a minimum of 12 days if I were to send it back to the company.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    V|P wrote:
    At this point, I don't have a choice. I really need the laptop for school and it would take a minimum of 12 days if I were to send it back to the company.
    Does the school have a computer lab? I realize it's inconvenient but it could be your best choice to avoid problems later if something goes wrong.
  • edited September 2010
    My Asus G72 laptop had the same problem with the cooling fan. After opening the bottom carriage and attempting to clean the fan out, I noticed that the noise quickly started acting up again. So, getting a tad more frustrated, I opened the under carriage once again and opened the fan, removed the fan blade, and sprayed WD40 where the bearings are. The fan is now super quiet, like it used to be.
  • edited September 2010
    And yes, you're right. For some reason, it's super tough to find a replacement fan for this laptop.