Getting in Shape - Help me out.

AdvakusAdvakus Nova Scotia, Canada
edited October 2010 in Fitness
Alright.

I don't own a scale. The last time I weighed myself, I weighed 95 lbs. (I was fairly young, something like seven or nine.)
I'm fifteen years old, I stand about six feet tall, (give or take an inch), and I'm slim. Flat stomach, but ribs not visible unless I'm lying down or taking a deep inhale.

On that note, I'm terribly out of shape. I'm moderately strong, but my cardio is just plain awful. I blame sitting in front of the computer all day.

I'll be going into grade ten (in this part of canada, grade ten is your first year of highschool) on wednesday. By that time, I want to have an idea of what I should be doing to get in shape.

I have access to a treadmill, one of these beasts, a bicycle and running shoes. I have some free weights lying around somewhere, too.

I've been luckily graced with an amazing teenaged metabolism that thus far has kept me slim despite an atrocious lifestyle. However, I've only got a few years of growing left, and I don't want it all to crash around me and gain a bajillion pounds the minute I'm done with high school.

I drink soda fairly regularly, a can a day usually. Maybe two a day one day and none the next, but on average, one a day. I'll be stopping that today. Replacing it with water should be over-all better for me.

The amount of food I eat a day varies greatly from day to day, and I've been told that's a big reason why I've stayed so slim. My metabolism can never lock on one set number of calories to burn a day, it's always got to be working. At least that's what a classmate said, and I have 0 knowledge on the subject. So I could be entirely wrong.

I usually eat breakfast, but not always. I know. "Most important meal of the day", and I'll start doing it every day soon. Usually it's cereal, or some eggs scrambled with cheese on tortilla bread, rolled up. Maybe an english muffin with peanut butter on occasion.

During summer, I skip lunch entirely. But seeing as school is coming back, I'll be stuck with cafeteria food. Probably a slice of pizza with milk - every day.

Supper also varies. If my mother's feeling ambitious she'll cook something, and we're a fairly carnivorous family. Steak, cheeseburgers, that sort of thing. But with our fair share of corn and potatoes and the like.

I can answer any other questions you may have, and I'm really looking forward to getting a few tips. Just any little idea you might have, how much I should do of what, etc etc.

I wouldn't mind bulking up a bit, but muscle isn't my main priority. I'd really like to just be in good physical condition.

In particular, a six pack (edit: not of beer, icrontic. six pack abdominals.) would be totally killer.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    You need to *clearly* define what your goal is before you can receive any instruction that'll put you on the right path.

Do you want to run a 3 minute mile? Do you want to put on 20 pounds of muscle? Do you want to bench press 200+ pounds?

Your goals are a bit mixed right now, so honing in on something would help everyone that can give you some advice.
  • AdvakusAdvakus Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited September 2010
    Alright, thanks Thrax.

My initial goal is to work cardio. I out myself on breath fairly easily, and when I do go running with friends on occasion, I find my legs get too tired to continue before my lungs even start to burn.

So I'd like to improve both cardio and leg endurance, which I assume will improve just by running and the like, but suggestions are really what I'm looking for.

I'm really new to this and I really don't have clear goals. I'm really in need of a starting point, some guidance and suggestions.

"I would do x first because y and your result will be z." is what I'm looking for from posters, I guess.
    But really, anything is appreciated.
  • edited September 2010
    I started running with the couch to 5k program. Seems to work pretty well for a lot of people http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I have a question and I did not feel like making a new thread about it.

I lost 19lbs in the last month and a half due to the Las Vegas heat and working on my car outside in that weather. In the process I went from a size 34 pants size to a size 32. Before I moved to Las Vegas I weight in at 185, I am currently at 166.

I am wondering what I can do to keep that weight off since I am now living in San Diego where the weather at the current time is similar to Detroit.