Batch resize

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited January 2004 in Internet & Media
Anyone know how with Photoshop or what program can do it? Also, can it be done by percentage? TIA :)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Well found a proggy. XnView
  • ishiiiishiii Cold lake, AB, CA
    edited January 2004
    or try xppowertoys
    they have a image resizer that will do as many pics as ya want
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2004
    In Photoshop, go to Window -> Show Actions. This brings up your actions pallette. You need to have an image opened to work on.

Fromthe drop down arrow on the right hand side of the Actions pallette, shoose New Action. Give you action a name, IE, "Resize for Web." The action will then go into record mode, and record your commands just like making a "macro."

Choose Image -> Image Size. Set your desired size, either as a firm pixel count, or as a percentage of the original. Then Press the STOP button on the Action recorder.

You now have a simple action which you can interact with for files you are working on in Photoshop, or to use with batches of files. To do the latter, go to the File menu, and choose Automate -> Batch. Under the Play portion of the window, choose which action you want to use (you can have "sets" of actions, normally this will just say Default.atn.) Then you choose your source for the batch action, either using Open Files (any files currently open in PS) or Folder (browse to a folder of files.) Then pick your Destination, either None )just performs the action and leaves the doc open on the screen); Folder (specify a folder to save to); or Save and Close (saves the file overtop of itself and closes it.) You can then use the File Naming area to specify a naming routine for each file, ie, add the word Resized or add a number to each one incrementally, etc.

Under the File -> Automate menu you will also see Create Droplet. This allows you to save the action automation as an EXE file, so you can then drag and drop docs onto it in Windows. The options I described above apply to the creation of the droplet, then you save it with a name.exe, and you have an instant-resize icon you can drop your pics on.

I also use another method to do this, called ClickPic. This adds simple image manipulation options to your Right-Click mouse button. It adds a thumbnail preview to the contextual menu of images, as well as menus for Resize, Rotate, and Convert file types. This can be quickly and easily used right within a Windows folder for single or batch resizes. It automatically saves any modifications to a new file with a "(1)" added to the name, so you don't ever have to worry about saving over your original by mistake. This program is great for quick resizes, my wife and I use it a lot for resizing digital photos in batch then adding them to an e-mail to famiy and friends.

Dexter...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Sweet! Thanks.
    edited January 2004
    Ok so how can I make it so that it doesn't ask what quality I want to save it as?
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2004
    Add a Save command to your action, by clicking on the action and pressing the record button to start recording again. Save an open sample file with the quality settings you want as a default. You will actually have to save a file to do this. Don't worry about where you save this file to or what you call it, as the Automate process will override that. Stop recording. Voila.

Dexter...