9800 GTX+ crashes in 3D applications

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Hardware
I have a Sparkle 9800 GTX+ that has been acting up for awhile. It works perfectly in 2D applications, but when 3D acceleration is required, I get gray horizontal bars or static quickly followed by video lock-up, a buzzing sound, system crash to blue screen and a spontaneous reboot to desktop. When I swap out the 9800 with a 250 GTS, the problem goes away completely so it is specific to this video card. What I have tried:
-removed the hsf, cleared and reapplied thermal paste
-removed the card's decorative fan shroud to increase ventilation
-left case side off for better ventilation
-RMA'd the card to Sparkle during the first year
-driver roll-back
-Hell, I even baked the bastard

Nothing I do seems to resolve the issue. And no Event Viewer errors are reported. It is also not specific to any particular 3D application. It happens in any game with 3D acceleration.

Now, I have already ordered a new video card, but I thought I would ask for opinions about this problem before I sh!t-can the card. (or use it for skeet shooting!)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like something baking could have fixed, but didn't. Good ol' G92.
  • FooharFoohar tennessee
    edited January 2011
    I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (512 MB) with 260.99 drivers and I've seen something close, scrambed multicolored blocks with grey horizonal lines when playing stalker and fallout newvegas. I kept having "nv" errors in event viewer also.
    Come to find out, it was EVGA Precision causing it, i dunno, something to do with the Rivatuner server it uses. If you use it, try disable or uninstall and see if it helps
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Dude, stop bumping old threads, please.