fatcat's new machine

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I am waiting to see what the 69xx's bring to the table, price and performance. I have gone back and forth in my mind on SLI or Crossfire, but have decided to do one video card. I'm not an nVidia or ATI (it will ALWAYS be ATI, sorry AMD) fanboy, I like price/performance and whoever wins is what I get at the time. In the past $200 was always my video card budget, but with this powerhouse I'm building, I feel a $200 video card would be an insult. So, we'll see what my options are the rest of 2010.

As for motherboard, the Gigabyte X58A-UD5 is still an option, but I've been looking (here come the flames) at this, ASUS Rampage III Formula a lot recently. I like the layout of the PCIEx16 and PCIEx1 slots, the reviews etc. Guess I need to make up my mind by friday when I buy one.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I like the slot arrangement on the ASUS P6X58D-E a little more, since the PCI-E x1 slot will always be accessible on top. The Rampage gets the x1 slot covered up if you decide to go dual-card later on.

EDIT: NM, didn't see that x1 slot on top on the Rampage board, even though I looked several times. Blends in :D
    edited December 2010
    heh, no problem Garg. shoulda posted this originally

IMG_9850-sm.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    That is a very nice board. But I don't like those heat pipes. VRM can work at a higher temperature than the north bridge runs. When CPU is overclocked, the heat on the VRM can move on to the north bridge to make it hotter than it would be by its own. I would rather have the heatsinks without heat pipes.
  • edited December 2010
    They pretty much all do that nowadays it seems, mirage. It's hard to find a board that doesn't have heatpipes going between the fet sinks and northbridge. And to be honest, if you have a little ventilation gong across that area it shouldn't make a big difference one way or another IMO.

fatcat, that is a nice looking board man. And the price isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.
  • edited December 2010
    muddocktor wrote:
    They pretty much all do that nowadays it seems, mirage. It's hard to find a board that doesn't have heatpipes going between the fet sinks and northbridge. And to be honest, if you have a little ventilation gong across that area it shouldn't make a big difference one way or another IMO.

fatcat, that is a nice looking board man. And the price isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.

You are probably right, muddocktor. Anyway, pipes do not come with the cheap motherboards I always buy. Lucky me :)
    edited December 2010
    highly compressed Evo4G photo

and so I build
    edited December 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    The Rampage gets the x1 slot covered up if you decide to go dual-card later on.

just to clarify, if you run a dual card setup(SLI|XF), the manual states using PCIEx16_1 and PCIEx16_3 to give you 16x on both cards. Therefore the 2nd PCIEx1 slot would not be covered ;)
    edited December 2010
    The Intel i7-965 engineering sample I got from Ryder did not work with the motherboard, so I guess I'll be dropping $300 on an i7-950 here soon.

Also, the 69xx's are out. $299 for 6950, $369 for 6970.

so, I'm still another $600 away from my system being done. :bawling:
  • edited December 2010
    What's the deal with that, fatcat? Think it's a bios issue or something?

BTW, do you live near a Microcenter? If you do, or if you have a good friend who does you can get a 930 for $200 plus tax. I had a buddy in Houston pick me up one; with tax and shipping to me included it was only $228.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Greg, I can pick one up for you if you want. Microcenter is on my way to work.
  • edited December 2010
    Holy shit, just checked the Microcenter website and for $200 you get the i7 950 now for in-store pickup. Brian, check it out and check stock at your local Microcenter.!!
    edited December 2010
    Yes, Ryder and I both believe it to be a BIOS issue, in that it doesn't know WTF CPU I have. Thanks for the suggestion on Microcenter mudd :thumbsup:

Brian. I see the microcenter in Madison Heights has twenty i7-950's in stock for $199, $100 cheaper than the egg.

Problem is, I don't have $200 until the 24th. :bawling:

If it is still cheaper than newegg then, I will have you get one for me Brian. And, Thank you
  • edited December 2010
    No problem man; I'm all for saving my friends some money if I know of a deal. ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Just let me know if you need my packmule/shipping bitch services :D

I'll even use USPS :p
    edited December 2010
    Just let me know if you need my packmule/shipping bitch services :D

I'll even use USPS :p

heh :respect:
    edited December 2010
    my buddy TiberiusLazarus was good enough to drive me to Microcenter in St. Louis and get me an i7-950 (paying him back of course) for $199. I rewarded him with a meal from 5 guys a mile down the road from Microcenter ;)

the build continues...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    You should just use it to update the BIOS then return it! :PPPPPPP
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    You should just use it to update the BIOS then return it! :PPPPPPP

the problem is the BIOS is too up to date, if any of the BIOS revisions would even recognize the engineering sample.

worth a shot though :wink:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    It would be requiring an OLD bios, not newer.

The newest boards are not going to recognize the ES CPU's of that age group.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    ohh. very interesting.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    This is a theory. The CPU I sent him, I have never used, so it could just be dead, but it was known working when it was sent to me.
    edited December 2010
    Ryder. I'm gonna get the i7-950 up and going. get the bios set whatever. the 950 is 3.06ghz. Then once I know shit is good, I'll throw the 965 ES in and see if it boots. Worth a shot.

Also, the motherboard I got only has two BIOS revisions, so I imagine it might already have the original. (the new BIOS just adds 6-core CPU support I believe)
    edited December 2010
    after 5 days of cursing, throwing shit and killing kittens, IT'S ALIVE!

still got some kinks to work out, and to get it to recognize 24GB, which Thrax was kind enough to link me to a forum with that info.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    All 24GB works now? :D
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    All 24GB works now? :D

I'll try tonight. Just home for quick lunch right now :respect:
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    I'll try tonight. Just home for quick lunch right now :respect:

And, let us know when you find a way to use 25% of the RAM in your system. :wink:
    edited December 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    And, let us know when you find a way to use 25% of the RAM in your system. :wink:

just load 3 adobe programs at same time.

I've seen Premiere alone use 6-7 gigs doing the icrontic year in review video
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I just have memory envy. Nice computer.
    edited December 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    I just have memory envy. Nice computer.

It's all good man. I agree 95% of the time I don't need 24GB, but if I can have it, why not :rockon: