What's a fair price to ask for this tower?

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Hardware
I need to sell off one of my builds and want to know what you think a fair asking price would be. Here are the specs:

1. Case: Gloss Black Enermax Mid-tower w side window
2. Power Supply: Enermax 535Watt SLI
3. Motherboard: *NEW* ASRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0
4. Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz AM3 95W Triple-Core CPU
5. Memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
6. Video Card: Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
7. Hard Drive: *NEW* Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
8. DVD-ROM: *NEW* LITE-ON Black 18X 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04
9. DVD-RW: LITE-ON 24X IDE CD/DVD RW
10. Rosewill Memory Card reader w USB port
11. Floppy Drive

Windows XP Home Edition with COA included.

Thanks for appraisals.

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    adarryl wrote:
    I need to sell off one of my builds and want to know what you think a fair asking price would be. Here are the specs:

1. Case: Gloss Black Enermax Mid-tower w side window
    2. Power Supply: Enermax 535Watt SLI
    3. Motherboard: *NEW* ASRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0
    4. Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz AM3 95W Triple-Core CPU
    5. Memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    6. Video Card: Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
    7. Hard Drive: *NEW* Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    8. DVD-ROM: *NEW* LITE-ON Black 18X 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04
    9. DVD-RW: LITE-ON 24X IDE CD/DVD RW
    10. Rosewill Memory Card reader w USB port
    11. Floppy Drive

Windows XP Home Edition with COA included.

Thanks for appraisals.

Brand new build? Any wear?

Assuming its new, honestly I can see about $600 or so for that.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the reply. No, it is not new but the motherboard, hard drive and DVD-ROM are brand new. The case is 7 years old and was originally silver. I repainted it gloss black just this summer. The RAM is a year old; the processor is two years old and the power supply is 3 years old. Video card is 2 or 3 years old. In other words, it's a hodge-podge of old and new. That's why I am struggling to put a price on it. I hadn't intended on selling this PC but a lady approached my wife at work asking if I had any PC's to sell so I said, "maybe, but I don't know what its worth." So here I sit scratching my head. I thought maybe $350 (is that too low?) but it's hard to figure when all the parts are not of the same year. :/
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    adarryl wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. No, it is not new but the motherboard, hard drive and DVD-ROM are brand new. The case is 7 years old and was originally silver. I repainted it gloss black just this summer. The RAM is a year old; the processor is two years old and the power supply is 3 years old. Video card is 2 or 3 years old. In other words, it's a hodge-podge of old and new. That's why I am struggling to put a price on it. I hadn't intended on selling this PC but a lady approached my wife at work asking if I had any PC's to sell so I said, "maybe, but I don't know what its worth." So here I sit scratching my head. I thought maybe $350 (is that too low?) but it's hard to figure when all the parts are not of the same year. :/

If they are not a gamer you could pull the graphics card, and honestly, for "some lady" the case is so nice, I'd have trouble parting with your work for a nominal fee now that I know what you went through, then again, re building in a budget case is labor too. If its going her kid, a gamer, I might not feel as bad about it.

One of the things I have learned over the years, the extra money selling PC's is nice, but there is always an unwritten rule that says you are now their free/cheap service guy once they buy one from you. Keep that in mind and get a price that you feel is fair up front.

Even with some burn in, you disclose it, but at the same time, PC parts these days are durable for the most part. Don't grossly undervalue a part. Take that triple core CPU. Its, what, maybe $100 or so, new OEM these days, I'd discount it maybe 20% as used. Thats how I would configure my pricing as fair. Take the current price off newegg, cut it 20% for anything that has been used a while. Then factor in a price that you feel is fair for your labor and expertise, because you are going to be expected to support it. If you don't want to support the sale, write a contract that says they have X number of days to return it, and after that they are on their own (if your copy of windows is on an OEM license, legally you can't even do that, your the support guy and thats that)

Like I said, be careful on who you are dealing with though. You sell it to someone who has not the slightest clue on how to run and care for a PC and you know your going to be running over there a few times to support things, likely with the expectation that you are to do it for free or really cheap because they bought it from you, obviously anything thats perceived as wrong is going to be your fault (99% of the time its user error). Just speaking from experience. I think Prime had similar experiences in the past as well. So pad your price a little figuring your at least running over their place once probably twice on your dime.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Cliff! All good thoughts. The lady in question is a teacher at the school where my wife teaches. It wouldn't be put to gaming use but rather general purpose. I came by these parts through my builds over the past several years. The case was from the first PC I built for my wife. The power supply, 9800 GTX+, Windows XP and the DVD-RW came from my gaming build that was on an Asus M2N SLI-DLX motherboard that crapped out on me. I had two 9800 GTX+'s running SLI on that system and one went kaput. I posted about it in this forum. The RAM came off a 790XT-UD4P and so on. Amazing how parts get recycled into newer builds. Anyway, I gave my wife a spec sheet on the PC so now I have to wait to see if the lady is interested in that particular build. I don't want to be on-call for silly odds and ends but you're right about folks believing you should service it if you sell it. I often donate my time more than I should for things like that.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited October 2010
    Been in the spot you are several times because of trying to "recoup" costs and as C_F has stated.....be careful, be very careful!!

State from the get go that it is a working system and theirs when they get it. Selling to co-workers and those of the wife can be dangerous from the service point of view. Other than that C_F's got you covered!