When is it time to replace the modem?

edited October 2010 in Hardware
I have a Westell 327W sent to me by Verizon 5 years ago. I guess it's a modem - router combo type of unit, I get wireless from it on my laptop. As far as I can tell it's working fine but due to some problems I've had with my service lately, I find myself wondering if the modem is out of date being that it's so old...or is it really old? lol

Is it a good idea to replace this device every so many years or do they last many years & I should just keep the one I have? If I hit Verizon up for a new one I'm pretty sure they'll send me the Westell VersaLlink 7500 like they did with my mom.

Also, a question please. When I look at my network page it has a Firewall Settings button. When I click on this it says it's set to None. I've always used a software type firewall, currently I'm using Windows Firewall on both computers. I don't know anything about hardware firewalls, if you use one instead of the other or both. Should I turn this other firewall on or leave it as is? Thanks in advance for any input. ~Zendall

Comments

• edited October 2010
    It's been days, I guess this was the wrong place to ask a question here & at the other board section which is what mattered most. I will try to find a better "newb" place, I'm guessing that was the problem, me not being a techie, lol. If anyone has any suggestions for a place for me to ask my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it, ty. Thanks in advance & take care all. ~Zendall
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited October 2010
    well I usually purchase one every 4-5 years. I personally like d-link.
  • edited October 2010
    If Verizon has upgraded its service of which your modem is not taking the full benefit anymore, it would be good to get a new one which can take advantage of the upgraded network connection to Verizon. The router (which is currently integrated with your modem) is the part that connects to your modem and distributes the network connection in your house through wireless and wired interfaces. The hardware firewall is implemented in the router part. In case the Verizon service does not need or Verizon does not offer a replacement modem, you should be able to disable the routing function of the Verizon device and connect a better router to upgrade your home network. I always prefer having two separate devices for internet (modem) and intranet (router).

Regarding the firewall, if your router has the firewall function, you do not need to enable the software firewall in parallel. But many people do not care about it and it does not hurt to have both of them. Actually, if you have a laptop and use it outside in other public networks, having the software firewall always on is a good practice since this can help you avoid forgetting (or the trouble) to turn the firewall outside. Windows 7 can take care of the firewall settings automatically through definition of networks as public or home networks.