Recovering Raid0 data ?

edited October 2010 in Hardware
I have a G-Tech G-Raid2 drive which appears to have a bad interface. (that is it does not show up at all in the System Profiler or Disk Utility on OSX, but it powers up and swapping cables and ports such as firewire for usb produces no result)

It was formatted RAID0, presuming that the individual drives are fine - I am wondering how difficult it might be to recover each drive separately and then restore the original data - ie merge the stripes ??

Alternatively I am looking for a used enclosure of the same model - the interface card itself is not made anymore. Is there much chance that another Raid card might be compatible for reading these 2 drives? They are Sata and the original interface had an oxford 924 chipset.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    RAID0 = 0 chance of recovery. Even if you're able to pull data off it, the data will almost definitely be corrupt. This is why RAID0 is not a good idea for critical data unless you make regular backups.

That said, your best bet is to force the "failed" drive back online. If any data will be recoverable, it will just show up as normal at that point. If that doesn't work you're pretty much SOL. Of course I have no idea how to do that with external RAID enclosures as I haven't worked with any, I only work with your standard internal hardware RAID cards at work.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Your data is more than likely permanently lost. If there is any chance of recovery, it's with a professional service. Prepare to pay a fortune.