Boot up problem

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Hardware
Hey,

I am having an issue with the computer listed in my signature.

When I press the power button the cpu/gpu fans power up to full speed for about 5 seconds, then slow down and run for another 5 seconds then power off for about 5 seconds, then repeat the loop. There is no video output.

This started happening after I took everything apart to clean dust out and then put it all back in the case.

Since then I have taken everything back out of the case. Only have the motherboard, cpu, 1 stick of memory, and GFX card in. And I am still having the same issue.

The only thing I noticed was the back I/O panel Bios jumper was bent and fell off. I replace the jumper and am still having the issue.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    my DFI does this any time I change the BIOS, I have to reset the BIOS to default, boot into Windows, then restart and go into BIOS and set the settings I want, then reboot and pray. It usually boots into windows then.

My DFI P35 and P45 both had this issue.

Make sure the Clear CMOS jumper short is on the correct pins?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Ive tried resetting the bios. Gunna try leaving the battery out for a while. Bad thing is there is no removable bios chip on this board so if my bios are
    F'ed up I need to RMA it, but DFI doesn't service the USA anymore... LE SIGHHHH....
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    When you pull the battery, unplug the psu also.

I wonder if your GPU could have bit the dust too (given that it's an 8800 series).

Lastly, try holding the insert key and then turn on the pc (keep holding it until it posts...or until it obviously hasn't worked)
    edited October 2010
    I swapped in a brand new 5850 and it did the same thing. Ill try to the insert key force boot when i get home, if i can find a ps2 keyboard :(.. What is this 1990?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    You don't need a PS/2 keyboard to use insert.

You tested more than just the 1 stick of ram right?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I insert usb keyboards all the time.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    We are not talking about what you do in the bedroom, pffft.
    edited October 2010
    Tried insert, no dice. Also yes, i have tried both sticks in every dimm.
    edited October 2010
    And, I put the graphics card in another pc and it is not the problem.
  • edited October 2010
    Have you tried taking the board and psu out of the case and trying to boot with the mobo sitting on a box or a board? Maybe something is shorting it inside the case for some reason.
    edited October 2010
    muddocktor wrote:
    Have you tried taking the board and psu out of the case and trying to boot with the mobo sitting on a box or a board? Maybe something is shorting it inside the case for some reason.

Yes I did, but thanks for the suggestion.

It ended up being the motherboard. Got a new one and it boots right up.