Q&A: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Hardware
Ask me about these cards. I can't guarantee an answer!

feature3.png

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Why did AMD divert its naming strategy. Typically new generations of cards have comparable performance scaling among cards of a similar naming, ie. 5870 is a step up over the 4870 which was a big leap over the 3870. The 6870 is a step down in terms of pure performance from the 5870 so I see the new name as a bit misleading. That said, with the 6900 series cards forthcoming, these 68xx cards seem like a transition models. Perhaps that justifies the changes and they should instead be viewed much like the 5700 series compliments the 5800s?

In any case, they're all better than my 3870 and crossfire 4850s. Any word on who'll be offering super-tempting rebates?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    This slide at [H]ard|OCP illustrates the strategy. Of course, more information can be found in the review, as well.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    So we're going to have 5700/6800/6900? How quirky.

How does a 6870 stack up against a 5870 and the 460 it's being marketed against?
    edited October 2010
    The 6870 is a bit slower than the 5870. It's also cheaper and more power efficient. If you're wanting raw power, it's probably worth it to wait for the 6900 cards to hit.
  • edited October 2010
    I am looking at the benchmarks at Techpowerup, and I am liking what I see. Both 6870 and 6850 are extremely good GPUs for the price.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I pretty much got this out of the reviews I've read

6900(not released yet)>5870>6870>5850>6850>5770 as far as performance. If I'm wrong Thrax can shed light.

You can get a 6870 for $239, and the 5850 for $239, so.
  • edited October 2010
    AMD seems to have improved the tessellation performance in 68XX series which was an important factor to consider in a DX11 chip for me. Looking at the charts, 6850 is on par with (or better than) GTX 460 1GB at a lower price and I think it is a very good deal at $180.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I think the real winner in this batch is the 6850 because of how highly differentiated it is.

Nothing else gets close to this card on a single six pin PCIE power connection. This means that someone that made the silly error of buying a lousy HP, or Dell OEM machine with a so/so 400 watt power supply can get this card in the open PCIE slot and actually game for real. At $179 that card is a bargain, and yes, I know, the GTX460 will run right next to it performance and price wise, but it gets absolutely nowhere near its efficiency and thermals.

Plus, it makes PC gaming affordable enough again so it can compete with the current console value proposition.

The 6850 is the everyman's gaming card. Its going to sell like mad.
  • edited October 2010
    I think the real winner in this batch is the 6850 ... Its going to sell like mad.

Depends on the Nvidia price cuts but I agree HD6850 is a very attractive deal.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    It looks like if you want DirectCompute or OpenCL performance, a 5870 is the better choice, no?

Interesting batch of cards. I'm building a rig for a friend, and while we were planning to go with a 5770, I'm going to see if he can afford a 6850 instead.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    This is too confusing, having 6000 series cards NOT be better than 5000 series cards. A few watts less of power usage isn't a good enough reason to mix up all the numbers. ATI really should consult me on their numbering system before making these decisions.

I'll get them set straight pretty fast.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Tim wrote:
    This is too confusing, having 6000 series cards NOT be better than 5000 series cards. A few watts less of power usage isn't a good enough reason to mix up all the numbers. ATI really should consult me on their numbering system before making these decisions.

I'll get them set straight pretty fast.

You know what, I'm actually not going to disagree :eek:. I love the product, its price point, what it represents in terms of value for gamers, but I agree, the whole numbers system is a little stale, maybe a future oportunity for AMD's newest marketing guru ;)

I could see something more like, here is the vision basic, vision HD, vision HD plus, Vision gamer, Vision gamer pro, Vision gamer plus... It would just make more sense to the consumer that is not as educated. For us, we figure it out, re can read the numbers, but I can see an opportunity to make a simpler system.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Cliff and Tim agree...

worlds_collide.jpg
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Why would planets collide? Tim and Cliff are two people I'd expect to agree more often than not on the basis of stubbornness alone.
    edited October 2010
    Diverging the product lines isn't a bad deal if AMD can afford to do it. I'm glad to see them swinging at all price and performance points. Bring on the 6900s.
  • edited October 2010
    They can call their products whatever they want. As long as they perform, I don't care about the name. If it does not perform I double don't care :)