TFT Monitor only shows a little flash, then goes black

edited October 2010 in Hardware
I've been recently having some problems with an old desktop computer (about 8 years old). The most important of all, some weeks ago it started giving problems when showing anything on the monitor (which is something like 5 years old). When booting, a little flash of what's normally shown on the screen appeared, then all went black. When rebooting 3 or 4 times it finally worked and let me use the computer for a long session, if it was used without long pauses. If not, it went black again.

Recently the problem worsened. You had to be very very lucky for it to work. I was looking for some information and finally I tried disconnecting all, pressing computer Power button for about five minutes and reconnecting all. Surprisingly, it worked. But for the next session, the problem appeared again. The trick worked for two or three times. Then also failed. The same happens if I try loading from a Live CD.

Having such an old computer I finally decided to buy a new one, not just to solve this problem but all the others. When I installed it some minutes ago I found that the monitor problem persists, so that particular problem was not the computer, it is the monitor. I would like to ask for some opinions. What would the problem be, and, is there any means to solve it? Definitely broken? Better to buy a new one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    In some rare cases the lamp and ballast can be replaced on a TFT monitor to restore function, but I honestly don't recomend it. It's a crap shoot at best, it will cost you at least $30 and allot of time. As a passion project just to see if you can, that might be okay, but for practical means, I'd just spend the $150 you have to these days to get a high quality monitor.

If it makes you feel better, your old PC, if it is functioning, it will have some re sale value. Sell it on craigslist and leverage it to get a great monitor. When I went from a 19" to a 24" the improvements in my work flow were huge. Heck, I'd like to get a big 30" if I could afford it.

I have been pleased with the Samsung monitors I have purchsed.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    I have been pleased with the Samsung monitors I have purchsed.

I second this.

Also, the HaansG monitors I've used are nice if you're on a budget. Also, the ASUS monitors I have at work are pretty awesome.
  • edited October 2010
    Thank you very much for your answers, you two. Yes, I'll take your advice :smiles:

I don't want something extremely expensive on the other hand. But I'm sure I'll be able to find something that fits my needs. I'll take a look at Samsung. Thanks again!