Upgrading laptop graphics?

edited November 2010 in Hardware
The graphics on my dell inspiron 1525 are not all that good. i dont know how well they work, but what would an external video card do?http://sewelldirect.com/ViDock-2-ExpressCard-External-Video-Card-Solution-Empty-Chassis.asp?source=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse&cvsfa=1306&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=53572d3232363837

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    First off, the ViDock2 has been discontinued. If you were going to go with this, you'd probably want to get the 3, 4 or 4Plus.

That said, I'm not very familiar with the product but I THINK that this will only accelerate graphics to an external display, not your onboard display. If you have an external display that you use with your laptop, and you have a PCIe slot on your laptop to use, then it's probably not a bad idea (provided your laptop meets your needs aside from graphics performance).
  • edited October 2010
    o oh, i have not done much researching. My laptop now does not play games as well as i would wish. I do use an external display.. i am very novice when it comes to this, i just heard of an external video card the other day.
  • edited October 2010
    i have an inspiron 1525 and play whatever on an HP2009m, would whatever plan work?
  • edited November 2010
    ?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    He already suggested the workable solution. Your mileage will vary depending on the games you are playing though, because some games are CPU-intensive in addition to being graphically intense. You should be purchasing something from this page, given the limitations listed at the bottom of this page BUT the purchase page says that all of their products are out of stock, though you might want to check ebay or other places.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    You may want to look into an internal video card. I was able to upgrade my inspiron 1720 from an Nvidia 8400 to an 8600. It's not a huge upgrade, but makes a noticeable difference in some games. As far as i can tell, the 1525 and 1720 use the same type of card, but with a different heatsink. Yes, that is the video card with the longer heatsink leading to the right.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I was able to upgrade my inspiron 1720 from an Nvidia 8400 to an 8600. It's not a huge upgrade, but makes a noticeable difference in some games.
    Should be very noticeable from the standard G variant, the GS and GT where decent but the vanilla 8400M was a turd.

No idea what Dell use, some other manufactures use MXM graphics modules in which case you can get some info here.