Trouble with OS install new system

charlierbcharlierb Michigan, USA
edited November 2010 in Hardware
Have built a new system with Intel D915GAV MB, Intel 3.4GHz 800 FSB 1GB L2, 2GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 500, Sony AD-7260S 24x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive and 450W power supply.

BIOS recognizes both drives and RAM. Can not install Windows XP Home. Tried the slipstream tutorial (on this site) with nLite to add the SATA drivers. The files seem to load from the CD and the HDD light shows activity. Still only gets to the setup menu and when I press "ENTER" or "R" it just goes blank with no activity light. Have tried Ubuntu and Ultimate Boot Disk. Both load with HDD activity, but neither will run.

I have tried all kinds of suggestions and read through the posts here. Still no luck.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2010
    What do you mean that both load but neither will run?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    The OP is unclear, but I think he means he detects hardware but not software activity. If I am correct, this points to no SATA driver installed for your DVD. I would suggest you retrace your steps for the slip-streaming operation. If it were me, I would borrow a floppy drive from another system and temporarily jump it in to yours and put the SATA driver in the old way..........F6 during XP loading and have a floppy with the SATA driver ready in the waiting.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2010
    But he should still be able to boot linux live as it doesn't require a HD and has sata support anyway.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Exactly. This is indicative that there is a greater problem. Most linux boot CDs offer to load to RAM and that would be an excellent test of other components.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    How about enabling and running IDE mode in the BIOS for the HD and perhaps the DVD (if he can)? Would this not allow him to install his OS and needed SATA drivers? After completion, if it worked, he could set things back to SATA/AHCI running mode.