everything has power but wont make its usual start up noises and monitor acts like it

tygerclaw98tygerclaw98 Scottsdale, AZ
edited November 2010 in Hardware
ok guys im at a loss. ive had to jump the power to my mobo, and it gives off power to cd drive, and hdd but the monitor acts like its asleep. no responce from keyboard or mouse and the sounds it usually makes when booting up dont happen. i havnt had it plugged in for almost a year.

Comments

• tygerclaw98tygerclaw98 Scottsdale, AZ
    edited November 2010
    also i tried resetting everything and now i cant get any power to anything without hotwiring just the psu. maybe i messed up when i reset the cpu? well anyway this is my new problem. still no solution to the o.p. also this is a basic acer aspire (cant think of the model off the top of my head) all stock parts except the psu. (i know acer isnt the best but im broke right now) and its the only comp i have right now. its just not posting. the only thing i can think of is a bad battery. what do you think?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    also i tried resetting everything and now i cant get any power to anything without hotwiring just the psu. maybe i messed up when i reset the cpu? well anyway this is my new problem. still no solution to the o.p. also this is a basic acer aspire (cant think of the model off the top of my head) all stock parts except the psu. (i know acer isnt the best but im broke right now) and its the only comp i have right now. its just not posting. the only thing i can think of is a bad battery. what do you think?

If it was sitting for a while, dead bios battery maybe?
  • edited November 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    If it was sitting for a while, dead bios battery maybe?

If you have not used it for long time, there could be some oxidation at the contacts of RAM sticks and/or expansion cards. Remove the memory sticks, clean the contacts with alcohol, do the same for any expansion cards (like graphics card if you have any), and reinsert. This might help.
  • tygerclaw98tygerclaw98 Scottsdale, AZ
    edited November 2010
    no oxydation. ive cleaned of the entire mb (using the utmost caution not to damage anything) ill try the battery today if i can get to the store. ive been trying some from mb's that i just have lying around but nogo. but ill try a brand new one.