My laptop is too loud

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited November 2010 in Hardware
Specifically the fans. I bought this Asus gaming laptop from best buy a bout a year ago, a g72gx (I think that's the model number). Now, I expected the thing to sound louder when I'm playing games as it would run hot. No big deal, I wear headphones anyways so I can't hear it. The problem is, it's loud even when idle. It's got an intel dual core cpu which idles at aroun 45c. The video card however, idles at 65-70c.

I've gone through the power options and set the cpu to run at 5% of its maximum speed.... I play wow mostly and I see no drop off at all between that and letting the cpu run at 100%.

Regardless, isn't there a way to have to gpu run down to about 5% of it's maximum speed when I am not using a 3D application? Isn't there some piece of software out there that can do that? The vid card in this thing is a nvidia geforce gtx 260m by the way.

Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Rivatuner can probably edit the fan speed profile.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    IMO if the fan thinks it should be running at a high speed, that means it should be that high. Chances are that means that the laptopper is a bit too dusty.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    earth tones and neutral colors will be a soothing avenue to explore here - namaste.