XP Boot Problem

edited November 2010 in Hardware
I've got a Dell XPS 700 running Windows XP SP2. Last night, when I went to shut it down, Firefox was hung and would not close. I could not even get Task Manager to run. I ended up shutting down by holding the power button.

This morning, the machine will not boot. I get to the screen that allows you to start in safe mode. When I tried any of the safe mode options, the machine reboots when loading avgisdseh.sys.

I found instructions online that say you should disable the AVG agent using recovery console. However, recovery console does not recognize the boot drive (I get "An error occurred during directory enumeration").

I tried running Testdisk and it sees the drive and states that the boot sector is OK. I can see all my files using Testdisk as well.

Any idea what to try next?

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2010
    from console run fixboot /mbr then chkdsk /r
  • edited November 2010
    Unfortunately, I can't run either of those, since the hard drive is not recognized in either the recovery console or a DOS prompt. The only time the disk is recognized is in Testdisk.
  • edited November 2010
    I think I've narrowed down the problem of the disk not being recognized -- the recovery console apparently doesn't have drivers for my SATA controller. My understanding is that you can load specific drivers into the recovery console, however this supposedly requires a floppy drive, which I don't have.
    edited November 2010
    Your bios may have the option to treat your sata drive as an ide drive which would allow you to repair it
  • edited November 2010
    I got around the problem with the SATA disk and have now done the following to no avail:

fixboot
    chkdsk
    disabled all avg services
    disabled mup (which was what it crashed at after avg disabled)
    Windows repair

It's still rebooting every time (though now when I get to the safe mode screen, I no longer get a list of files being loaded, so I don't know what it's crashing on).
    edited November 2010
    Try running a repair install on it. You won't lose any data and it may make it bootable. Alternatively pull the drive put it in an external enclosure backup whatever you need and do a clean install.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Alternatively pull the drive put it in an external enclosure backup whatever you need and do a clean install.
    Gets my vote :)