Faster way to switch between monitor configurations?

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited November 2010 in Hardware
I've got my PC in the same room with my main TV now, so I disconnected the little media PC I had hooked up to the TV (which barely ran Hulu, since it was constructed from a bunch of old, spare parts), and plugged my main rig into the television. My card has more than two ports, but only supports two simultaneous monitors (as far as I can find), so I need to switch out my secondary monitor for the television in my configuration, when I want to use the television for Hulu.

This means opening up the Resolution Settings, then selecting the television, choosing 'extend desktop onto this monitor' from the drop down, then click 'apply', then wait for it to finish flickering before clicking 'Keep settings'.

It's not an egregious number of steps, but it seems to me like there should be a way to create a one-click switch of some-kind. Does anyone know if there is a way to create a short-cut to a specific monitor setting, or perhaps a third-party application which can manage it for me?

If there was a way to keep it from screwing up the locations of my icons and widgets each time, that would also be awesome.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Try WIN+P.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    ATI's driver has "profiles" that might be of aid to you here. I've used them to switch between Eyefinity and regular extended desktops before - sounds like it could do something like what you're looking for.

I do think it also has a way to save icon position.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Autohotkey is what i chose to solve this problem.
    I have one script to select my monitor in the living room and one script to select my monitor in the kitchen.

I can share the script i have as an example once i get home.
    http://www.autohotkey.com/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Try WIN+P.

Thanks. It's a good shortcut to remember (I'd never seen it before), but it doesn't help with the third monitor.
    Snarkasm wrote:
    ATI's driver has "profiles" that might be of aid to you here. I've used them to switch between Eyefinity and regular extended desktops before - sounds like it could do something like what you're looking for.

I do think it also has a way to save icon position.

My card is nVidia. I wonder if they have something similar.

*heads over to the googles.