Looking to Overclock AMD Manchester 4200+

edited November 2010 in Hardware
honestly, i have no idea what im doing, id like to know what program to use, & like to understand the basics to actually doing it.

cpu is a dual core amd manchester 4200+ 2.2 ghz.

id like to get something around 2.6.

anyone out there that can put me on to whats needed to be done.

i have an adequate temperature reading tool in everest ultimate.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Not to be rude, but if you have no idea what you're doing then you shouldn't be overclocking. If you really want to LEARN what you're doing, there are tons of guides on how to overclock out there. The biggest thing that it comes down to (from my understanding which is admittedly limited) is the motherboard that you have, the CPU is pretty secondary to that.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    That chips multiplier is locked so you will have to adjust your bus speed and HT link speeds while messing with your memory divider/timings to get it stable.

Honestly, it would make a nice chip to practice on because its not going to break your heart that badly to fry it and start over (as allways, back up that hard drive just in case)

Truth is, on a Socket 939 board, all of them should have some kind of shut down protection it you get a little too careless. I assume you have cleared a CMOS before? My guess, getting it to 2.5 or so on stock voltage should not be too hard, from there up you may strugle to get something stable. Don't anticipate huge performance gains, but I'd still encourage it just as a good learner system, its old, fairly expendable at this point. Go ahead, bump that bus speed a bit and cross your fingers!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    AMD overdrive for overclocking (for testing, then use BIOS to set it if possible), OCCT for testing the overclock for stability. Done.
  • edited November 2010
    There used to be a great article here on overclocking socket 939 and is referenced in the stickies above, but the link to the article is broken or the article is gone. Maybe one of the admins here can find the article and fix the link.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    muddocktor wrote:
    There used to be a great article here on overclocking socket 939 and is referenced in the stickies above, but the link to the article is broken or the article is gone. Maybe one of the admins here can find the article and fix the link.
    I "think" this is the beginning of it?
    http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/overclocking_on_754939_platform/

The link to the 6 part book doesn't work, but if you go to the bottom of that first article, there is a link to the next, and so on.