Sledgehammer's Updated Machine (Yeah it will never be done)

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited December 2010 in Hardware
So as some of you know I am a PC nut & a self proclaimed hardware enthusiast... or well maybe just crazy!

No but really PC's are my hobby & I enjoy having a blistering fast system with the most current tech. But with that some next gen/refresh hardware has rolled out so I have upgraded.

photo.jpg

Currently 1 of my GTX580's is in for RMA hence why you see 1 GPU currently.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel 980x 3.33GHz running at 4.6GHz (1.45v)
Mobo: EVGA x58 3-Way Classified E760
Memory: 3x2GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR PC315000 DDR3 1866Mhz running at 1952Mhz
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX580 SC running at 980Mhz (1.28v)
Sound: SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
HDD: 2x OCZ Agility2 120GB running RAID0 - 1 WD 1TB HD - 1 WD 150GB Raptor
PSU: Silverstone 1500ST
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D (Current - New case is on order)
Cooling: DD Black Ice GTX360, GTX240 & GT360, Swiftech 350 Pump with EK X-Top V2 & Swiftech 655 w/speed control. CPU APOGEE XT Block & 2 x Koolance NX580 Blocks. With lots of fans & lots of pretty lights.

But to throw a huge curve ball into my current system I have decided to jump to a slightly bigger case from Danger Den & have ordered a new DD Double Wide Tower and have also purchased another GTX360 black ice Rad.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRzfle2nl-s

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    That DD Double Wide looks pretty sweet.

Why are you buying a GTX360 to go with the 580?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    GTX360 Radiator :) The case will have 3 of them all together.
  • edited November 2010
    What case do you have on order? That's a lot of rads to hang inside a case and I'm curious what you plan to be using.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited November 2010
    .................But to throw a huge curve ball into my current system I have decided to jump to a slightly bigger case from Danger Den & have ordered a new DD Double Wide Tower ...........
    :bigggrin:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    awesome PC sledge

I'm so tempted to dive into watercooling just for something new
  • edited November 2010
    jedihobbit wrote:
    :bigggrin:

Thanks for catching that for me. Old eyes playing tricks on me this morning.

Looks like the DD equivalent to the MM Ascension cases. I figured it would be a big cube style to mount all that raddage.
    edited November 2010
    GTX360 Radiator :) The case will have 3 of them all together.

Ahhh.. I thought the "Rad" portion of that part name was some marketing attempt at being hip, like how companies use FTW and stuff like that.

Goes to show how much I know about watercooling...
  • edited November 2010
    I thought that monster could not be bigger :)
    edited November 2010
    Yeah... I juts want more cooling power and something a bit more flashy. I got the 800D case to try and stay somewhat low key... LOL yeah right! but it is now time to full fledge my PC addiction with a case that can handle it.
  • edited November 2010
    Looks like a nice case. Too much plexiglass for me; rather my U2-UFO instead but that DD case has some nice points. Like the front usb and audio ports. As a matter of fact, I ordered that front usb and audio port header so that I can mod a blank 5 1/4 drive cover with it so I can have some front mounted usb and audio ports on my case. And I was sure to drop a line to MM to tell them about the DD offering too.:D That has been my pet peeve with MM; for the amount of money they sell their cases at, they should at least offer front mounted usb ports as an option at least.
    edited November 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Ahhh.. I thought the "Rad" portion of that part name was some marketing attempt at being hip, like how companies use FTW and stuff like that.

Goes to show how much I know about watercooling...

Don't feel bad it took me a while to catch on........:wink: In DD's nomenclature the first three letters are like a model number and then the numbers usually refer to the number of 120mm fans…….360 = 3 x 120, 240 = 2 x 120, etc.
    edited December 2010
    Finally complete ... well minus the new case, but I got my GTX580 back form RMA (they ended up sending me a brand new card)

DSC01753.jpg

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01765.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I want to try a water cooled setup like this for my next build. I feel like, as a geek, I need to crank it up to 11 and go to the limit.

Looks awesome as usual dude. Update when that new chassis comes in.
    edited December 2010
    Awsome, almost a shame that it will be coming apart with the new chassis!! :wink:

The use of clear for the GPU vs the blue for the rest.....engineered or by necessity?
    edited December 2010
    jedihobbit wrote:
    Awsome, almost a shame that it will be coming apart with the new chassis!! :wink:

The use of clear for the GPU vs the blue for the rest.....engineered or by necessity?

I held off on using blue as I am saving what I have left for the new case. But the clear inbetween the GPU's is growing on me.
    edited December 2010
    New Case Arrived! Started to build out the system and it is proving to me I was not as prepared as I thought I was.... Damn screws won't reach through the plexi into the fans and rads... need some 40mm length :)

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01789.jpg

DSC01790.jpg

DSC01806.jpg
    edited December 2010
    that case is holy effin crazy huge

I think I want one
    edited December 2010
    Holy crap, that chassis is nuts.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    DD Double Wide! For twice the power!
    edited December 2010
    I need to do a lot of Vinyl Blacking of the cables.

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

DSC01801.jpg
    edited December 2010
    DSC01836.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

DSC01835.jpg
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    My wife would file for divorce.
    edited December 2010

haha, sounds like all the motivation you need there Cliff :crazy:
    edited December 2010
    From you or your computer :)

Overall the system is running very cool. For just being ambient water the GPU's are idling around 22c-24c while OCed at 988MHz and under load have not gone above 43c.

I am now paying with voltages etc to gain more head room for OC. one of my cards will go well above 1Ghz on the core but my 2nd card isn't being so nice.

Now only if 3DMark 11 would work with SLI without some hack hotfix...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    From you or your computer :)

Overall the system is running very cool. For just being ambient water the GPU's are idling around 22c-24c while OCed at 988MHz and under load have not gone above 43c.

I am now paying with voltages etc to gain more head room for OC. one of my cards will go well above 1Ghz on the core but my 2nd card isn't being so nice.

Now only if 3DMark 11 would work with SLI without some hack hotfix...

From me I'm certain. That is an absolutely gorgeous build.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    2 580's in SLI and you aren't happy with 988 Mhz? :tim:

Why only 6 GB of ram? Get 12 or more! :)
    edited December 2010
    12GB is pointless for what I do daily. But I do use my GPU's and the 6 core CPU allows me to use my GTX 580's to almost their maximum potential.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    12GB is pointless for what I do daily. But I do use my GPU's and the 6 core CPU allows me to use my GTX 580's to almost their maximum potential.

I wonder how long it'll be before 12 GB in a PC is considered to be normal. 1 year? 2?

I remember when 512 MB of ram in XP was considered good, 768 MB was very good, and 1 GB was a lot of ram!:hair:

Back in 2001, when I ordered my first home PC, a Dell Dimension 2100, it came with 128 MB and a 1.1 Celeron. I spent the money to upgrade it all the way to 384 MB!
    edited December 2010
    My first was a Gateway G6 that was the cat's meow because I upgraded the memory to 96GB and had a monster 10GB HDD in it!! Came with the latest tech in the form of a 1X DVD player/CD burner had a supper fast 66MHz front buss and I can't even remember which Pentium. And it only cost me $3200.........