WC'ing "As Yet to be Named"

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited February 2011 in Hardware
While not trying to duplicate threads, I’m throwing out questions and ideas. I haven’t even finished or named this build (http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89853) and I’m thinking of a major change / upgrade to the design. Here is where it currently stands parts wise…….

CASE: Zalman Z7 Plus
PSU: Zalman ZM850-HP Plus (Looking to go to the 1000W version)
MOBO: MSI NF980-G65
CPU: PII X4 1055T
HSF: Zalman CNPS9900-NT
GPU: 3 x Evga GTX 470 SC (only mounted one for now)
MEMORY: F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD w/ Zalman ZM-RC1000
HDD 1: WD Raptor 74GB (Primary)
HDD 2: 2 x WD1001FALS 1TB (RAID0)
Optical Drive 1: TBD
Fan Controller: Zalman ZM-MFC3

The primary reason WC’ing even came to mind is the 3 x evga GTX470 SCs that I “accidently” won on eBay. I’ve noticed that just one running at “stock” speed on an open tech station is a bloomin’ furnace!!! I’ll be looking to “steal” items from DreamCatcher and convert that back to air but…………that ends up only being the Cuplex XT di for the CPU and think that should be fine as I won’t be pushing the 1055T that much, at first anyway!! That leaves the NB and Mosfets needing something but don’t think there is anything on the market. Might just have to leave the stock cooler(s) and maybe do something with a fan………..now the mobo

MSINF980-G65.jpg

Looking at two different gpu blocks with bling always in the back of my mind.

a. EK’s 470 nickel/plex & possibly backplate or
b. Bitspower’s BP-VGNGTX470AC-CL Black Freezer Acrylic-Clear Panel-Nvidia GTX470 Reference

Price wise the EK is about 40ish cheaper each and love their blocks, however the Bp has a lot of bling (as well as having a good rep). I know EK also has a triple SLI “parallel” adapter that would be nice, just wish it was plex!! So will be looking at suggestions here also.

Now for connectors and the rest of the plumbing…………

First off how many rads would you think?? Would the 3 GPUs require their own with “everything else” with another? I really don’t have the option of changing cases so will be held to the zalman Z7 and there really isn’t any room for one in there. Have thought about doing a “free standing” rad assembly of some sort and then squeeze everything else in the case. Here is one of the “early” fitting tests to show these limitations.

StartingFittingStuff1.jpg

For connectors and tubing my experience (actually the whole WC scene) has been limited to AquaComputer’s Aquaduct 240 PRO Mark II . This is a 2 x 120 rad with pump & res as a free standing unit, but by design is limited to 6mm x 8mm tubing and fittings. Found it kinda neat in having the res, pump, and rad in one free standing unit when I did the mATX build of DreamCatcher.

DCv3-5withTribble2.jpg

Again from a bling stand point and wanting performance my initial take is that if one has the funds Bitspower would be the way to go. Then I end up in the middle of the “bigger is better” battle when it comes to the tubing…………

Res and pump come up next. With the GPUs would I need to run two complete loops with 2 x res and pumps?? Again because of bling and having heard good rep Frozen Q’s Liquid Fusion res http://www.frozenqpcmods.com/lf.html is seriously being considered.

. LF-Green-Glow_07.jpg

Again while I want bling and quality I do have to come back to earth when it comes to cost, so am open to suggestions. Then again the wife may find out and this will come to a screeching halt!!

Comments

• jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited December 2010
    Where or where are all the wc'ing gurus???:( :rolleyes2 :wink:
    edited December 2010
    Okay after some thought (smell the smoke?) and throwing the budget to the wind here are the changed specs (if all the parts are available!) in bold red italics

CASE: Zalman Z7 Plus
    PSU: Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus
    CPU: PII X4 1055T
    HSF: EK-Supreme HF
    GPU: 2 x Evga GTX 580 SC
    MEMORY: F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD w/ Zalman ZM-RC1000
    HDD 1: Zalman SSD0032S1 32GB SSD (Primary)
    HDD 2: WD V’Raptor 300GB (Misc Apps etc)
    HDD 3: 2 x WD1001FALS 1TB (RAID 0 Storage)
    Optical Drive 1: TBD
    Fan Controller: Zalman ZM-MFC3

Which has me still looking at EK or Bitspower for the GPU blocks. Right now reading links found. Before getting into any serious question about pump & rad requirements I need to continue reading!

Suggestions and help still needed!!
    edited January 2011
    Some of the parts have been selected and would like your opinions.........

CPU: Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos XT
    GPUs: EK Waterblocks EK-FC580 GTX - Nickel / Plexi & Backplates
    RESIVOR: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 160 ml Reservoir
    RADIATOR: 1 x ThermoChill PA140.3
    PUMP: MCP655 + Bitspower D5 Acrylic top + Black Sparkle Mod Kit by Sidewinder

Still “thinking” about tube size and looks to be either 3/8” x 7/16” or 3/8” x 1/2”.
    edited February 2011
    Okay the water cooling of KestrelFlight (v2.0!!) has taken another turn as I’m looking to resurrect the first build I started (as opposed to finished) Celtic Spirit. Below is how the parts are looking to be divvied out. Note that an active attempt will be made to bring the rad(s) inside the case on KF v2.0. Because of wanting to do Celtic Spirit, DreamCatcher AM3 will be canalized unless I win the lottery! ;D

KestrelFlight v2.0

MOBO: TBD***
    CPU: 955BE (would like the 1055T) W’Block TBD
    GPUs: 2 x XFX GTX 285s w/ EK Waterblocks EK-FC285 GTX - Nickel / Plexi
    RESIVOR: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 160 ml Reservoir
    RADIATOR: 1 x 140 / 1 x 240 or 420 ** by Magicool
    PUMP: MCP655 + Bitspower D5 Acrylic top + Black Sparkle Mod Kit by Sidewinder
    TUBEING: 3/8” ID x 5/8” OD (10mm x 14mm??) Brand TBD
    FITTINGS: 3/8” Compression by Bitspower & Enzotech as required for “bling” scheme

** Which rad will be determined on overall length. Would like the 420 but quite sure it’ll be the 240. The 140 is for the CPU while the 280 would be for the 285s, other things like NB would be included in the CPU part with anything else on the 280.

*** While a full sized motherboard has been considered I’m also entertaining the idea of a mATX for several reasons:

1. It pulls the bottom of the board off the bottom of the case which is the only internal spot for the 280/420.
    2. I have an unused MSI 890GXM-E65 sitting on my work bench
    3. Thought it would be neat to try the SLI hack
    edited February 2011
    Okay have moved the build over to its own worklog...........

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=777691#post777691