Community Grinders

2»

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    I thought I saw on someone's post that mobs can only spawn on flat areas, not just in the sky. :confused2

The trap he is referring to has flat areas in the sky, they then fall into a channel of water that leads them off an edge where they fall to their death.

-Digi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Ah gotcha.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    The trap he is referring to has flat areas in the sky, they then fall into a channel of water that leads them off an edge where they fall to their death.

-Digi

But they don't fall into the water?
    edited January 2011
    I haven't been over to the grinder CF+co built so I can't answer anything about that grinder specifically, I'm just basing it off of the design he was describing. I've seen some obscene examples of this that generate thousands of items an hour.

-Digi
  • edited January 2011
    Regarding the spider grinder. I had AFKed for awhile at the grinder, came back and was dead. Upon returning to the grinder, I noticed three spiders outside the grinder as well as a big hole in the ground that wasn't there before, leading me to assume that spawns can indeed happen if it is dark at the bottom (I had left it lit while I was there, but others had visited while I was gone).

The grinder itself is unscathed and is still fully operational, all the damage was to aesthetic parts of the cave. I have lit the bottom for now, lest other things spawn. I will see about repairing the blown up section of cave later.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    It is an issue that I need to fix if ever I start playing again. It can be fixed with a lot of redstone + doors and a higher water channel.

They do eventually fall, but there has to be lots of stuff up there :) Also, the cave system under ground still has areas where monsters can spawn, so its not running at full spawn efficiency.

If you plan to fix it, don't take valuables up there. Its... dangerous.
    edited February 2011
    Couple updates.

Hitman and Kingpin have built a spawning tower/grinder Northeast of spawn. It was very close to being done on Saturday night, not sure of its status as of now.

Something may be up with the spider grinder. I idled in it all night and only got about 2 stacks. I'm going to research if the climbing update effected cactus traps more then I thought. Now that I have started building some stuff, wool is going fast!

-Digi
  • edited February 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Something may be up with the spider grinder. I idled in it all night and only got about 2 stacks. I'm going to research if the climbing update effected cactus traps more then I thought. Now that I have started building some stuff, wool is going fast!

I did qute a bit of spider grinding after the update. I cannot really say too much regarding the speed of the grinder, as I always got disconnected at some point, but on some nights I would walk away with maybe 20 pieces of string, and others I may walk away with 20 or so stacks. I simply assumed it pertained more than anything to how long I managed to stay connected.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Couple updates.

Hitman and Kingpin have built a spawning tower/grinder Northeast of spawn. It was very close to being done on Saturday night, not sure of its status as of now.

-Digi

I can come assist if you need - I got an 'everything' grinder going last week, everything except eggs.
    edited February 2011
    Worked on the Spider grinder a bit yesterday. Little bit of observation then redesign. I think the pauses in production were caused by the spiders climbing the wall above the row of cacti. I tried lowering that wall but then they just climbed that and never made it to the cacti. I eventually cleared the row above the cacti and made the cacti 2 tall. Now they can climb all they want and still get dead :D

Added a maintenance access and a viewing platform so you can watch the buggers die if you want.

Idled last night and got a full inventory. It's working great.

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Worked on Hitman's grinder last night. Long story short I had to brave the inside of the tower to block of all mobs from the middle (future pit of death). I was then able to construct a "water push into lava" trap. Then I had to go back in and remove all the blockage.

Many deaths, falls and explosions later, it is in working order.

Did a test run last night, over 7.5 hours I gathered at ~90 items /hour
    192 Gunpowder
    104 strings
    101 arrows
    103 bones
    172 feathers

Not bad.

Also: Hi T_T, wasn't ignoring you, was idling. :D

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Directions to Hitman's Tower of Doom:

From spawn take Eastern Road to 1st Road (first right)
    Take 1st to Skeleton Road

From town take 2nd Road (upper level of Town rail station) to Skeleton Road

On Skeleton Road, Giant Cobble building will appear on your right
    Entrance is on the North side of the tower.

Please read all signs and follow directions. We currently have a couple of thins walls that if you stand next to them and a creeper explodes, you will break the grinder.

I'll be working with Hitman to make a safe path from Skeleton Road to the grinder in the near future.

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Huge difference in numbers today, the only difference I am aware if is there are other people on the server and the time.

Test 2 results. Time 1.5 hours

1112 items!

741 items per hour

246 Gunpowder
    91 strings
    257 arrows
    245 bones
    273 feathers

I've been putting all the items other then Gunpowder in the assigned chests. Feel free to stop by if you can use anything. Items for all!

The string being drastically lower is probably due to the stupid spiders climbing into the lava. The string can't be recovered at that point, it burns up. But some spiders still fall to their deaths.

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Test 3 results. Time 2 hours.

1090 items

545 items per hour

263 Gunpowder
    109 String
    252 Arrows
    247 Bones
    219 Feathers

Quite a bit of randomness in the numbers, There had to be something wrong with that first test.

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    Yup, there is something wonky when you are the only person on the server.

I idled at the grinder last night for 8 hours and picked up ~ 100 bones and feathers and less then a stack of everything else.

-Digi
    edited March 2011
    I would assume this is because most people prefer to work in well lit areas and you're the only one spawning the entire servers worth of monsters....
    edited March 2011
    I would assume this is because most people prefer to work in well lit areas and you're the only one spawning the entire servers worth of monsters....
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited March 2011
    I have opened a grinder at x -555 z 1165, it is a vertical drop/lava kill grinder with water collection. Finding it may be difficult as there is no man made structure above ground. Look for the hill covered with torches. I have hollowed out a hill with spawning levels every 5 blocks from y 64 to y 19. With one other person on the server I was able to collect 275 items in one hour. The coordinates are for the entrance door. It is approachable by boat from town to the entrance if you can find the correct channels, some of which are marked by lit trees.