Upgrading from P45 motherboard

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited December 2010 in Hardware
My current system has the P45 chipset Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard, E7300 Core 2 Duo, and 4 GB of RAM, and it has worked fine for me.

I was thinking of building a new system with my tax refund in a couple months. I was thinking of going I7 4 core, Windows 7, and 6-12 GB of ram. And a 6xxx series Radeon GPU, depending on how they work in the next couple months.

Any suggestions for good motherboards for the I7 processors? I read they are Socket 1366 and Gigabyte has some to pick from, although I'd consider other motherboard makers too.:)

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    If I were you, I'd consider waiting just a touch longer to see what happens with AMD's Bulldozer.

Not to mention, aparently Intel's Sandy Bridge leaked out early? So you are going to want to follow that development if you are thinking about a new system.

Point being, we are going to be seeing more of these new groundbreaking architectures very soon, so don't leap before you look.
  • edited December 2010
    You have a nice motherboard, you could buy this Q9300 for $100. That cpu can overclock to 3GHz (or beyond) very easily.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Yes, I can wait a while yet if I should. I've been thinking that the i7's have been out long enough that it's about time for whatever comes next.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    No computer needs a quad core CPU.
  • edited December 2010
    Basil wrote:

I was trying to figure out what you mean until I saw Tim's post in the LG dual-core phone thread. Good answer!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Basil wrote:

Flawless victory.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Lololol