The SIMS save-game files???

MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
edited January 2004 in Gaming
I need to know WHERE the save game files are in the Sims directory. I had to wipe C: drive for OS reinstall and although the games are on E: drive they won't play. I need to reinstall them all but my daughter doesn't want to lose all her game saves she's been playing for months. How do I locate them. The folders for the Sims give me no clues.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    As far as I am aware, they are stored in that users "My Documents" folder. So if everyones "My Documents" were in the default place of "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\" you will have lost them all.

Reinstalling a game over the top of a game 99.9% of the time will not touch the same game files, installers and uninstallers only add and remove specific files, they don't touch user created or modified files (and wont delete the parent directories if any of the above are contained within them).
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, I think Enverex is right :( Games have taken to doing that for some reason, and I HATE IT.
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited January 2004
    Bummer. My daughter is NOT going to be happy. Thanks tho for the info Enverex! :thumbsup:
    edited January 2004
    pseudonym wrote:
    Yeah, I think Enverex is right :( Games have taken to doing that for some reason, and I HATE IT.

Yeah, I hate it too. I hate the registry as well, I mean, whats wrong with good old .inf files in the games folder, keep everything in one place. It makes life so much easier. It also means you don't need to reinstall if you screw the registry or change machines.
    edited January 2004
    I still can't seem to locate a game saves file on my other comp that has Sims on it. Is it a hidden file?
    edited January 2004
    AH, just read your post, my connection is SLOWWWW! .inf files are not used by XP for saving games I presume?
    edited January 2004
    They aren't used for any games any more, only the really old ones. They were never used for saving games, just the games configs and other info.

If I remember correctly, the games save is actually just one large file that contains the entire neibourhood, but I am damned if I know what it's called as it was ages since I last played.