Windows 7 Download - now Deteriorating Graphics

edited January 2011 in Hardware
I run a Dell Studio 1737 Laptop and since loading Windows 7 (from Vista) I get horizontal line deterioration on almost all screens. I can refresh them but the issue comes back. ? ? Have tried reloading Dell drivers but to no avale...

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like your graphics card is dying. Is the laptop under warranty?
  • edited January 2011
    Sounds like your graphics card is dying. Is the laptop under warranty?

Laptop is just oneyear old last week. Warranty probably ran out. This issue started immediately after I downloaded Windows 7.
  • edited January 2011
    Another distinction with the graphics that is changing is that links are no shaded and no longer underlined as is usually seen with a link.... in emails only
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Can you post a screenshot to show us exactly what you mean? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
  • edited January 2011
    Can you post a screenshot to show us exactly what you mean? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

I am currently reinstalling Windows 7 as a clean install to see if that improves the graphic issues i've been having. If not i wll try and capture a screenshot nad post. Thanks
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Also check to make sure that you have the latest driver for your onboard graphics (depending on your manufacturer, you may be able to get it straight from NVIDIA or AMD).
  • edited January 2011

There should be an attached Snipit file attached that shows the "Blurred Vision" also the name of the file.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    This is a dying video card. The installation of Windows 7 is, (un?)fortunately, completely coincidental in this case. :(
  • edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    This is a dying video card. The installation of Windows 7 is, (un?)fortunately, completely coincidental in this case. :(

even thought they refresh to normal graphics when highlighted ? There are times to when the underline of a linked address shades then entire verbage and not appear to have an underline. These stay permanent and dont refresh. And I havent snipped one of those yet but will when they reappear again...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    You might try downloading Hiren's boot CD and running the either (or both) of the video stress test tools, which may confirm the diagnosis, though I haven't used it before.
    Hiren's Boot CD
    Tests of note:
    Video Memory Stress Test 1.7.116
    Video Memory Stress Test CE 1.21
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    that is memory erro on VRAM, solder reflow will fix it, alternatively, flip the laptop upside down (where is the VRAM will be facing up, and put full load for it to heat it, it will temperary fix it, also clean out the dust/dirt in the laptop, that is the root of causing the problem