SATA II Controller Card Question(s)

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited January 2011 in Hardware
With my No Name build I have totally entered the world of SATA devices. Also this will be the first time I will have more than three SATA devices and onboard connectors sure run out fast!! :eek::(

Also I've heard that a lot of times depending on the mobo controller if RAID is thrown in all the ports don't work, so................

What "inexpensive" controller card should I look at? In theory I have used all of the MSI NF980-G65's ports.

1 x SSD
1 x 300GB V'Raptor
2 x 1TB Blacks
1 x Front eSATA Port
1 x DVD-RW, etc, etc

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    What happens on a lot of boards is when you are trying to use RAID, ports 5-6 will no longer function. Now for the useless part: I don't have any experience purchasing SATA cards, because they were out of my price range (at least the trustworthy looking ones). Someone else should be able to chime in and say what kinda of prices you will be looking at, but I would expect at least $150 if not $250.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited January 2011
    Actually don't think I'm really after a SATA controller card with acRAID controller (because as you've mentioned they are $$$$$$) but more or less something that would just function as a set of SATA ports to allow the on board controller try to RAID. :confused:
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    We'll have to wait and see if someone else can chime in then.