Whitelist Qualifications & Consequences

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Minecraft
Please read the following Qualifications and Consequences before asking to be whitelisted for the server. Everyone using the server is subject to the rules and are free to voice their opinions about said rules. All rules are open for discussion. Please keep discussion about the rules to this thread. Please keep the discussion civil.

Qualifications:

1) Anyone who has been a forum member for a significant period of time and hasn't been a total asshat (henceforth referred to as a "regular"), is welcome.
2) Any newb who signs up on the forums, posts and is vouched for by a "regular", is whitelisted and is considered "on probation" for a month.

Consequences:

1) If someone "on probation" is found to be acting maliciously, they are no longer welcome on the server. Period.
2) If someone not on probation is found to be acting maliciously:
2.1) They will be removed from the whitelist for 2 weeks, after which they will have to request to be added again (and will be subject to the standard qualifications). They will be "on probation" for 1 month after being re-added.
2.2) Second offence: They will be removed from the whitelist for 1 month, after which they will have to request to be added again (and will be subject to the standard qualifications). They will be "on probation" for 1 month after being re-added.
2.3) Third offence: Removed from the server permanently.
3) Any "regular" who vouches for a newb becomes responsible, in part, for that newb. If the newb acts maliciously, the "regular" who referred them will be suspended from the server for 1 week.
4) If there is doubt that the actions taken by the player were actually malicious, a warning will be issued instead of the above consequences. Should the behavior be repeated, it will be considered malicious.

(I define malicious as intentionally destroying or purposely doing anything that damages someone else's creation. Stealing. Murdering, or otherwise intentionally causing the death of another player. Generally not following the "don't be a dick" principle.)

Specific offenses that have been encountered in the past:
  • Placing TNT(s) in town or near someone else's structures which result, or could result in damage (intentional or otherwise) to someone else's creation(s).

Anyone looking for Build Permissions should read and follow the instructions in this thread.

Comments

• MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like a pretty good set of rules to me!
  • edited January 2011
    Sounds like a fine set of rules.

Could I inquire, what system will be in place to find griefiers? I know there are a few monitor programs, are you going to install one of those, or will this be simply on catching and reporting this sort of thing?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking into monitoring plugins. Haven't decided on anything. Hopefully it won't become necessary to add one in the first place. For now I don't want to make changes unless there are problems.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Who decides what being a dick is?
    edited January 2011
    Whatever mod is around when someone complains about something getting blowed up, torn down, burned or whatever?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    If you need another mod, I'm on minecraft quite a bit these days :D
    edited January 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Whatever mod is around when someone complains about something getting blowed up, torn down, burned or whatever?

Who decides who the moderator should be? Should there be single people that get to decide these things?

Should you be a moderator? Does being a server administrator entitle someone to control what happens to people in-game?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Who decides who the moderator should be? Should there be single people that get to decide these things?

Should you be a moderator? Does being a server administrator entitle someone to control what happens to people in-game?

In the same tone of your post: Why are you asking Ardi this? All of these things should be "democratic" as that has worked for us in the past.

-Digi
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    In the same tone of your post: Why are you asking Ardi this? All of these things should be "democratic" as that has worked for us in the past.

-Digi

Exactly, I'm not unilaterally putting these into effect, if you don't like part of them, propose an alternative. Just saying you don't like something without proposing some sort of alternative isn't, I'm sorry to say, helpful.

At this point, the server moderators are to be myself (obviously), Thrax and Snarkasm (as they volunteered). I believe that having 3 mods should be enough?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I thought they were volunteering to administer the server (through putty or whatever) to update it, etc.

What am I chopped liver? When did I get booted just because I am not hosting :p

I will be playing from the UK :D
    edited January 2011
    I was planning on them having both SSH access to administer the server and have mod access. I'll leave your mod access in place as well Ryder, since you didn't speak up I wasn't sure if you wanted to wash your hands of it or not.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if I like the third rule. I'd say a warning to be more cautious next time, but suspension for another first offense seems lame.
    edited January 2011
    I can understand that... I was thinking that there should be some consequences to referring someone who turns out to be a dick. Make people be a bit more selective about who they vouch for instead of just vouching for any joe-schmoe. If people feel that's too harsh though then we won't apply that.
    edited January 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Why are you asking Ardi this? All of these things should be "democratic" as that has worked for us in the past.

-Digi

I'm not, and I agree.
  • MechfoxMechfox Texas
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good to me.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good for the most part. As a suggested alternative, I feel that the first offense should be a warning. I can imagine that sometimes someone will do a prank they think is reasonable, but the rest of us regard as crossing the line. Maybe they've had a little too much rum and made a bad call, who knows, but I think a warning would handle this best.

In fact, consider having the warning be made public in the forums so others can know what happened. This isn't meant to be a "shame on this person" tactic, rather a "this is an example of what not to do, guys" and more importantly, why it's not acceptable. Seems silly, but I think it may help some of our younger/newer members "see the light" before it's repeated.

Same thing for a referral: if someone screws up, give a (possibly public) warning to both the newb and the referrer, then if it's repeated suspend the newb and the referrer and give the referrer the option to NOT re-refer the perpetrator if they so choose. Sometimes, people you expect to behave don't, and you don't want to assume that responsibility again. No sense in punishing the referrer twice if they don't want to let them try again, in my opinion.

Finally, do you guys think we should expand a list of things that are malicious? I personally think it should be the judgment call of the mods and the group at large, but some may prefer to see a list of things to avoid doing, as judgment calls may lead to (thunderclap) drama. For example, if someone runs around lighting "public" forests on fire that aren't claimed yet, is that malicious? Nobody has claimed it yet, but it does kind of ruin the natural landscape of someone who is looking to go collect wood or settle in a new place. Should this be "malicious actions"? If it's a rule, then there's no room for arguing, either it happened or it didn't. To make a list or not, that's up to you guys.

Just my two cents, and otherwise I think this ruleset is brilliant. :D
    edited January 2011
    That seems reasonable to me.

Also, the way I wrote the rules, I always had it in mind that non-regulars would have to be referred again after a suspension.
    after which they will have to request to be added again (and will be subject to the standard qualifications)

Recursive rulesets ftw.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah, about those monitoring programs. I remember hearing Lynx talk about how the Loading Ready Run server had mods that could detect fire being started, and teleport to the perpetrator of the fire and see if it was legit usage or not.

While we may not need a "fire brigade", it may be nice to have an app running to check for fire usage, who used fire, and where it was used. If such a plugin exists, I fully endorse using it. Out of any griefing that could occur, arson is probably the worst so this should be the one that is most considered looking out for.
    edited January 2011
    I will be looking into such plugins and discussing any that may be useful. If you check out the bukkit forums there's a section for plugins. Feel free to bring up any that seem useful for discussion.
  • DeterminedCeleryDeterminedCelery That 12 year old Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    im sorry i told ktm6464, or Dalton, do ask cause that is the only server i could get on and i dont have enough ram to make one so im sorry. I know him in person and I bought the game for him, and i told him what to say. Once again im sorry
    edited January 2011
    Fish, what did I tell you about apologizing?
    edited January 2011
    cola wrote:
    Fish, what did I tell you about apologizing?
    Yeah. What he said.
    edited January 2011
    Note the timestamp on his edit and my post.
    edited January 2011
    Note the text of my post. Jeez. Just trying to make you look good. :wink:
    edited January 2011
    Lol, ya got meh :D
    edited January 2011
    (there was an edit ... just playing)
This discussion has been closed.