Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    This Update = Best update Ever!!!!

Also... Overhangs FTW?

-Digi
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    And just when I thought I couldn't hate spiders anymore...

I guess at least they don't blow everything up.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    just put a stripe of sandstone in the wall, they can't climb it. :)
  • MechfoxMechfox Texas
    edited January 2011
    Can they climb sand?

I do have to agree with Malpercio...at least they don't blow up. While annoying, I think I can deal with that.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    You have to put at least 2 vertical rows of sandstone, they'll climb over a single row.
  • edited January 2011
    You have to put at least 2 vertical rows of sandstone, they'll climb over a single row.

They can jump over one, but can they jump and grab? ie, if I put a fence on a single block of sandstone, can a spider jump the single block and then grab onto and climb over the fence?
    edited January 2011
    Dargon317 wrote:
    They can jump over one, but can they jump and grab? ie, if I put a fence on a single block of sandstone, can a spider jump the single block and then grab onto and climb over the fence?

I don't know. I tried using a single layer of sandstone on a small test building with cobblestone above and beneath. The spiders were able to reach the top without any problem. Using two layers stacked stopped the spiders. I would think that a fence on top of a block of sandstone would be no problem for them to scale, but I cannot confirm this.
    edited January 2011
    After further research it was determined that spiders can in fact climb sandstone, at least for now. A 6x6m building with a layer of dirt on the bottom and 4 layers of sandstone will delay spiders, but won't stop them if they want to get up. I hypothesize that they will be able to climb up any height of sandstone as they seem to treat sandstone the same as any other block. In the same way, fences were no problem at all to traverse.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28801&stc=1&d=1295501560
    Bad!

Overhangs were also evaluated and found to be the most effective. On a 6x6m house 5m tall, a simple 1m overhang on all sides was enough to thwart a spider's advance.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28802&stc=1&d=1295501560
    Good!

All this after I lined Turnip Castle with 2 layers of sandstone! (Doh!)
    Bad.png 454.7K
    Good.png 425.8K
  • edited January 2011
    I have read but have not confirmed that spiders need at least a 2x2 to hang onto when climbing. If this is true, a 2 block wall with a 1 block overhang should stop spiders. In addition, since it is 2 thick at the top, this should also prevent creepers from getting into exploding distance. I will try to test this later.