Having computer build problems, it will not start!

edited January 2011 in Hardware
Hey there folks. I'm looking for some assistance with my computer build, as I am running into some problems that I just can't seem to fix. My build has:

-ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
-EVGA GeForce GTX 465
-G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4 GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
-650W Power Supply who's brand I forgot due to it being from my older computer

So, I threw everything in the case, hooked it all up, and got squat. The Green LED light on the Mobo was on, and the fans wiggled a little bit when I hit the power button. That was it. I made sure the CPU was seated correctly, as with its heatsink. Still got a green led on the mobo and wiggling fans. Made sure the memory was seated correctly, same result. Tried one stick of memory at a time, same result. Took the vid card out and tried using the integrated video instead, same result.

I wanted to make sure my mobo wasn't DOA, so I took it out of the case, and made sure it wasn't shorting out or anything. With the mobo on a piece of cardboard with the CPU and memory seated on it, I still get that green light. I'm assuming this is a good sign.

Anyways, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out what is wrong with my new build. Do I have incompatible memory? Is my PSU not sufficient enough? I'm at my wits end! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Make sure your power switch is hooked up to the mobo properly. Try switching the polarity on it. Long shot, I'm sure, but otherwise I'd say your mobo is probably doa.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Make sure you have all cables (24 pin for mobo, 4 [or x2] pin for CPU, gfx card all plugged in snug. I assume your older computer worked (meaning the PSU should be okay). Try only putting one RAM stick in the first (usually labeled 0) slot.

Beyond that, it's probably a DOA board.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm leaning towards DOA board as well. If I take the motherboard out, and just plug the PSU into it, with the CPU, no memory or anything, I should get some error beeps from the mobo speaker, correct? Those error beeps would be signaling that there's no memory. However, I don't get any beeps. It just sort of sits there, mocking me and my unfortunate circumstance...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    There you have it. Return and renew!