Building My Own Desktop

ShadowdareShadowdare Member
edited January 2011 in Hardware
I am in need of a new computer soon. I've been considering what performance I need now and how much I can afford now (the price to performance ratio) and what features I need. In other words, do I require portability? I'm still thinking about this.

Anyway, I am trying to build a nice desktop config here with a budget of $1400.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10826889

I will do a lot of amateur level video editing and encoding, some gaming and would like to at least play the Fallout series, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and so on at the moment (might need more power for future games).

For video editing, I know I should buy an external HDD but for now, I think just getting a 1TB HDD for the computer will suffice and the SSDs cost too much anyway.

I've been told to spend less on the CPU and more on the GPU in any case. Also, I absolutely require a nice capture card and am considering the Blackmagic Intensity Pro (+$185 at Amazon) or the Hauupauge HD PVR. I believe the Blackmagic Intensity Pro serves better features and specifications but I don't have any experience with either.

I would like to know if my build is good enough for what I want to do, if the price is good, or if I should upgrade anything. I would also like to hear your suggestions on a mouse and keyboard. The monitor I've chosen has speakers.