Burning Smell from Computer

sweavesweave boston
edited January 2011 in Hardware
okay
i think it is either my magma fan (the one of the top of my case for blowing out the air)
or may 750w ocz power supply
basically it smells like burning plastic
(cleaned out the case and made sure wires werent touching anything and were tied off)
however my temperature readings from everything else in the comp are perfectly within or below the levels
my comp is running fine with no problems at the moment that i can detect whatsoever
this started apparently earlier this morning and i have no idea whats going on.

i'm thinking of replacing both and seeing whats going on.
any suggestions if there are any software based testers for power supplies out there? ( i dont have a multimeter)

Comments

• sweavesweave boston
    edited January 2011
    okay an update
    i'm still not sure if its the power supply or the top blowout fan but here is a tell i think i've noticed.
    when i put my nose to the rear blowout fan i dont get that smell (at the very least nowhere near as strong as its from the top fan)
    i'm going to replace that fan tommorow
    *cross fingers*
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    You could just wait for the flames.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    If you have fans with cheap sleeve bearings its possible that burning plastic smell is exactly that. Hard to say with any degree of certainty. I'd open up the side, remove all fans except for the essential CPU fan, air it out and see how it fares. If you suspect it is the PSU fan, don't open it! Just replace the whole PSU.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited January 2011
    already done
    rmaing the ocz one already
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    If the power supply fan is bad, you can either zip tie or duct tape another fan to the power supply air inlet or outlet and use THAT fan to keep it cooled.

Or just RMA the power supply if you can wait to use the computer again.