Boot errors

FooharFoohar tennessee
edited January 2011 in Hardware
I seem to be having a rather odd problem, never seen this before.
So the pc in question is a Biostar mcp6pb m2+ motherboard and AMD x2 250 with wd sata 200gb asus cdrom.
The problem is it will absolutly not install the os, I've tried writing zeros to the drive, fixboot,fixmbr ect ect from Hirens cd, but insert the motherboard drivers cd, or any one of my 3 xp cd's and it either gives me "error loading OS" "NTDLR is missing" or "Disc boot failure" no matter what I do, I see lots of people have this issue from google searching, but none have resolved it.
I've tried all the usual stuff, swap cables, swap cdroms, swap sata ports, tried different ram, and it just refuses to boot from the xp cd, yet will boot to Hirens, I don't know what it could be.

Comments

• FooharFoohar tennessee
    edited January 2011
    So as a last resort, I tried an old (and rather scratched) Winxp cd, and what do you know, it started right up, this makes no since at all, as all of my XP cd's are just copys (not about to buy another $100 install:P)
    But if anyone else has this problem, just to go on record, VIA chipset, SATA drive, BioStar MCp6PB M2+ won't install OS? Try another cd >_<
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2011
    Try going into the bios and setting the drive to work in compatibility mode. It will treat the drive like a PATA drive for installation purposes.
  • FooharFoohar tennessee
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for your reply kryyst, but it seems its working (for now)
    Hopefully my next post will be SuperPi results! lol