Laptop Display Dying (Toshiba Satellite)

BrettSDBrettSD San Diego, CA New
edited January 2011 in Hardware
I hope this is the correct forum for this post.

I have a Toshiba Satellite M305. It's about two years old now, but I take pretty decent care of it with regular maintenance, reformats, etc., etc. However, over the course of the last six months the display seems to be crapping out. At first I thought it was a driver issue, but updating everything didn't seem to change much. I reformatted and the problem seemed to disappear. Fast forward a few months later to this week and it seems to be back in full force.

The problem is characterized as a blacking out/flashing screen. The lower half momentarily blacks out when I move the display and the entire thing will flash to black and go in and out while it's running from time to time. Over the past week or two it's been more frequent. Some times the display will being to "bleed" to a hazy increasingly white screen and then snap back to normal.

Some research has revealed that this specific model was produced with a "faulty" (the thing's run for two years without issue... of course it's out of warranty, but I'm not sure I'd call that "faulty") Display Cable, specifically manufactured by CMI. All the symptoms have matched up and I've looked at everything short of opening the display and looking.

I'm unfamiliar with laptop hardware so I was wondering if you guys could think of anything else it could possibly be before I go and follow one of these tutorials on opening the display and replacing it.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Based on what you said, your last paragraph is the answer. Make sure you have the spare and all tools needed before you start.