TV on PC/projector

UPS-YuriUPS-Yuri New
edited January 2011 in Internet & Media
We're going to watch the Super Bowl with a large group of people in a place where there is no cable/satelite. We have a projector and 2 laptops with internet, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows XP. What's the best/cheapest way to get live streaming tv on a laptop/projector. I've read in several places about satellite tv to pc, and have contemplated getting a tv tuner card for the laptop. Any suggestions?

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    UPS Yuri wrote:
    We're going to watch the Super Bowl with a large group of people in a place where there is no cable/satelite. We have a projector and 2 laptops with internet, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows XP. What's the best/cheapest way to get live streaming tv on a laptop/projector. I've read in several places about satellite tv to pc, and have contemplated getting a tv tuner card for the laptop. Any suggestions?
    If there's no satellite or cable signal available, you're stuck with an OTA HD signal, which isn't bad. Since it's being shown on FOX, you should be able to receive the signal with an antenna and tuner.

I have no experience with USB tuners. That said, Hauppauge makes some great PCIe tuners. Perhaps that brand would be a good starting point. Most tuners also come with TV software although I understand that Windows 7's Media Center is good as well for the same purpose.

A directional antenna is the other thing you'll need. Use the AntennaWeb site to determine the best facing for your antenna.

A projector really comes down to preferences and budget. I'd recommend going to a local store to try them out first.
  • UPS-YuriUPS-Yuri New
    edited January 2011
    Thanks a lot. I think I have it figured out and working now.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    u the man Yuri!