Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    A) Get a Samsung. B) Why in the world would you want one with wifi in it? Internet-enabled TVs are a gimmick, and if your goal is to stream to it, you want ethernet anyway.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Pssh... I stream via wifi TYVM. Though I do plan on running CAT5 EVENTUALLY.

That said, yeah, internet enabled TV is a gimmick. Just get a good TV then get either an HTPC, a Boxee box, a Roku box or something else.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Totally not a gimmick. My parents make extensive use of Netflix on their Sony Bravia.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    You won't find much in that price range that is worthy but the March 2011 Consumer Reports rated the Panasonic Viera TC-L32X2 as a BEST BUY at $425. The top 3 rated models were all LG's from $600-675.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    just buy a broken 40" LCD TV for dirt cheap, to make your life eaiser, just get one with broken LCD, and replace the LCD panel,

hence, Samsung DOES NOT make their own panel, the outsource to 3rd party, so as sony so on

you can order a compatible model from, AO (Acer Optic) or Chi-Mei (http://www.chimei.com.tw/en/)

i was building my LCD TV, i savaged a broken one from insignia 40" 1080p LCD, replaced the samsung one with Chi-Mei LCD which is "Exact spec" and "Exact same" as the samsung one, but just under different OEM model number,

borken TV cost me = $0
    Chi-Mei V400H1-L03 = $255 including shipping

Samsung LTA400HT-L03 (old one) and V400H1-L03 (replacement) are exact compatible and exact same but better! (read the white paper you will see why)

the DSP in the insignia TV, i reflash it to a newer Samsung firmware, (hence, is exact same as sony and other company, differ in GUI).

you can also go for lower LCD, like instead of 1920*1080, with 1367*768, and the price drop to 180$

seriosly the parts price for eletronic is dirt cheap,

the same spec TV after i build it, cost about $1000 under sony ot $1100 under samsung

i 4got, if you dont have resources or dont know where to order, you can try OEM distribution company in china, such as http://www.xincai168.com/

they are not bad, but cheaper if you speak or go order the panel directly from manufactor
    edited February 2011
    for the wifi enable TV, just add VIA artigo A1100, it will do much more

http://a1100.viatech.com/

http://www.slashgear.com/via-artigo-a1100-review-27104456/
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    I just picked up a referb Vizio 32" 720p LCD. At 32" the 720 is almost as good as 1080p. I added a 3 year warranty (squaretrade) all for $330. I just picked up the matching sound bar for $98 from Wal-Mart. Great picture, with the sound bar, Great sound. Just about $400 w/ 3 year warranty. I think that is a good deal.
    edited February 2011
    no point for warranty, lcd monitor break either on 2 places, DC-AC power inverter (back light), AC-DC power supply (DSP power), excluding LCD crack so on, since those does not cover by warranty anyway,

AC-DC/DC-AC is not as hard as people think
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Unless there's a manufacturing defect which causes something else to break... thus the entire point of a warranty! herpderp
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Honestly, in a 32" screen, unless you have plans to use it as a PC monitor at some point, 720P is completely fine.

As far as wifi streaming goes, I don't know if I would pay a huge premium to get it integrated into the TV. It is too easy and fairly inexpensive to add it via a number of devices. Boxee Box, Roku, a game console, a networked Blu Ray player. I might add that after the fact so you don't box yourself out of a really good deal on a TV.