Working out max FSB

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited February 2011 in Hardware
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions...

Firstly what sort of voltage increases have people applied to their cpu and how do you know if you are pushing too much through?

Secondly,

From a CPU point of view If my CPU runs at 200x10 will it also run at 400x5?

I know that increasing the fsb will stress other components but my thoughts are as follows

Work out the max stable cpu clock by keeping default multiplier and gradually push the FSB up. once I know the max that the CPU can run at, reduce the multiplier right down then push the FSB further to test stress on RAM and get the max FSB. Then work out what multiplier I need to use with the highest FSB that the rest of my system can handle.

eg. My Athlon 64 X2 will run stable at 212/15 however I suspect the rest of the system can handle a faster FSB, so drop the multiplier back to say 8 and see what FSB I can get and remain stable. if I get to 225 then I know I can set a multiplier of 14 to get the same CPU clock but a a faster FSB.

Hope that makes sense?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    200x10 is not the same to a system as 400x5. It's not even the same to the CPU. I'll spare you the nitty gritty, but it relates to voltage, timing and signaling. Higher FSBs put more strain on the memory controller and DRAM.

The easiest way to determine max FSB is to drop your multiplier as low as it will go and start pushing up. When you hit a wall, bring your multiplier up until the system stops booting, and then back down.

Maximum CPU voltage varies by CPU. Easiest just to google for what people consider the maximum safe limit for air (or water) cooling.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    AMD doesn't have FSB, you are referring to HTT ;)

Athlon 64 x2 will most likely not run that high of HTT. Board, CPU, many factors will limit the max HTT you see, but 400 is pretty much no way.

230 / 250 is about what I saw from most of the good clocking boards.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Windsor core will not get you an extreme overclock, but you can expect about 10% overhead on a decent air cooler. I had an old 90nm 6000+ windsor that I ran at 3.3 very stable just using some run of the mill DDR2 800 5-5-5-15, and a decent Arctic Cooler 64. I could get it to 3.4 but I would have stability issues at that point. 3.3 was a stable overclock, and if memory serves, I just bumped the voltage to 1.45. Loading Prime95 I could hit 70C, but other than that it ran very reasonable, well within safe range.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I previously had my CPU set to 213x15 but I think I can push the htt higher but I have to drop the multiplier otherwise the CPU cant handle it. ill see how I get on and let you know what stats I get. My board seems to be ok for ocing so im hopefull